Council tree felling...

Actually, not true. There has been numerous allegations of assault by Amey staff. Something even the company have confirmed.

"Amey also confirmed one of its staff was being investigated over an alleged assault at a protest. “We can confirm that South Yorkshire Police attended Abbeyfield Road...and spoke to an Amey member of staff following an allegation of assault.”

So no one has been charged?

---------- Post added 19-01-2018 at 15:15 ----------

It's like looking up a builder, finding many well documented news articles about them being cowboys, and people having legal battles with them, then STILL deciding they were the best people to use to build your extension. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Remember good news doesnt make a story or court cases does it.

Part of the tender process will include looking at references.

If you look at any company the size of Amey you will always find bad news stories.

Personally i just dont understand the problems people have with Amey, the blame falls solely at the door of SCC. Amey are just doing as they are told.

Edited by the fonz

Actually, not true. There has been numerous allegations of assault by Amey staff. Something even the company have confirmed.

"Amey also confirmed one of its staff was being investigated over an alleged assault at a protest. “We can confirm that South Yorkshire Police attended Abbeyfield Road...and spoke to an Amey member of staff following an allegation of assault.”

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/yorkshire-tree-felling-firm-employing-bouncers-to-manage-protesters-1-8566084

On a lighter note, there might be hope. If Liverpool council managed to get out of what they describe as a "nightmare" contract with Amey, six years early, maybe Sheffield council can.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/street-cleaning-firm-amey-regrets-9643719

Amazing though that these stories are everywhere regarding Amey (Cumbria council taking Amey to court to try and get away from them etc) yet Sheffield council STILL thought it was a good idea to get involved with them. Anyone capable of using Google wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, surely?

It's like looking up a builder, finding many well documented news articles about them being cowboys, and people having legal battles with them, then STILL deciding they were the best people to use to build your extension. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And not forgetting Birmingham City Council are also at odds with Amey.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/legal-dispute-could-cost-birmingham-11609054

---------- Post added 19-01-2018 at 15:32 ----------

And not forgetting Birmingham City Council are also at odds with Amey.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/legal-dispute-could-cost-birmingham-11609054

And another:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/council-highways-contractors-branded-plonkers-12856635

So no one has been charged?

---------- Post added 19-01-2018 at 15:15 ----------

Remember good news doesnt make a story or court cases does it.

Part of the tender process will include looking at references.

If you look at any company the size of Amey you will always find bad news stories.

Personally i just dont understand the problems people have with Amey, the blame falls solely at the door of SCC. Amey are just doing as they are told.

As I said before, I have no idea if anyone was charged.

There are multitude of stories, from all areas of the country about Amey and their work. Is that not enough to understand why people have such a problem about them?

There are many, many big companies all across the world who don't have such stories. it's not normal for people to take companies to court as they're so desperate to sever ties with a company.

Blame does lie at SCC's door, I quite agree. They should have been aware of the reputation of Amey. But that doesn't excuse the company, as the problems aren't just in Sheffield. They're all over. The difference is though that rather than defending them, as SCC seem to be doing, other councils seem to have decided enough is enough and to fight them. Good for them.

Edited by paula4sheff

They clearly aren't. They are acting with the letter of the contract and the law, but not within the spirit, and SCC don't have the guts to fight them on it.

I just want my road and three others that are shaking bits off my bike daily resurfaced. I would prefer it if the trees stayed. One aspect of the workmanship that worries me is that they don't remove much of the stemps after cutting. Wood rots. Subsidence I. a few years' time?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

The busiest worker at Amey must be the one who goes around changing the dates on the boards that informs the residents when work is due to scheduled.

The boards around Sandford Grove Rd & Gatefield Rd have been up for weeks & by my reckoning,.the dates for scheduled work, (tree felling; completion of road & pavement resurfacing which was first started back in late 2016), have been changed at least 3 times.

The latest date for work is 22 Jan 2018 for 8 days. Yes it should have started today but not a single Amey or SCC worker has showed up according to one local resident.

Looks like the locals are so confident that no work would take place that the roads are still covered with parked cars, ignoring the board's request to move them between 7am to 7pm.

I have noticed something though, the delay in works seems to have resulted in even more local residents putting signs in their front windows stating that protesters are welcome to stand in their small front gardens.

The busiest worker at Amey must be the one who goes around changing the dates on the boards that informs the residents when work is due to scheduled.

The boards around Sandford Grove Rd & Gatefield Rd have been up for weeks & by my reckoning,.the dates for scheduled work, (tree felling; completion of road & pavement resurfacing which was first started back in late 2016), have been changed at least 3 times.

The latest date for work is 22 Jan 2018 for 8 days. Yes it should have started today but not a single Amey or SCC worker has showed up according to one local resident.

Looks like the locals are so confident that no work would take place that the roads are still covered with parked cars, ignoring the board's request to move them between 7am to 7pm.

I have noticed something though, the delay in works seems to have resulted in even more local residents putting signs in their front windows stating that protesters are welcome to stand in their small front gardens.

Haha - those signs are constantly changing! No one moves their cars anymore, as it would be impossible to keep up with them! They've been up cfor at least 6 months on Meersbrook Park Road, now. If residents had paid any attention to them they' not have been able to park outside their house for half a year!

As I said before, I have no idea if anyone was charged.

It seems quite a lot of force is considered reasonable by the police:

This looks pretty unreasonable to me, to move someone out of the way. I can understand manhandling and picking up to move people I think, but punching? Even if turned out the "bouncer" did not start it, I don't get why the police would not break up a fight happening in front of them?