Council tree felling...

Guest makapaka
Well is would certain p**s me off if I owned a house and it was worth less because of it! As I'm sure it would most people!

It would be a bit disingenuous to complain about the felling of trees under the banner of conservationism if it's property prices that people are concerned about wouldn't it?

It's not the councils job to protect peoples property values.

It would be a bit disingenuous to complain about the felling of trees under the banner of conservationism if it's property prices that people are concerned about wouldn't it?

Please stop trying to twist what people say. No one has said that. Why would property prices and conserving the environment be at odds with each other anyway? There's nothing 'disingenuous' about it at all. I'd wager anyone who owns, or is intending to buy or sell a house cares about it's price. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't care about conservation.

Please stop trying to turn everything into an argument- it's pretty tiresome.

Guest makapaka
Please stop trying to twist what people say. No one has said that. Why would property prices and conserving the environment be at odds with each other anyway? There's nothing 'disingenuous' about it at all. I'd wager anyone who owns, or is intending to buy or sell a house cares about it's price. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't care about conservation.

Please stop trying to turn everything into an argument- it's pretty tiresome.

I'm not twisting anything. You have drawn a link between property prices and the tree felling - not me.

You weren't raising the point that people care about property prices generally were you - you were drawing a link to property prices and tree felling.

Some campaigners may not care less about the impact of tree felling on property prices - it's certainly not raised as an issue by campaigners in the media etc.

However if house prices were a concern - as you suggested - it would be disingenous to only talk about the unnecessary destruction of trees for private profit if that wasn't their only concern.

I'm not twisting anything. You have drawn a link between property prices and the tree felling - not me.

You weren't raising the point that people care about property prices generally were you - you were drawing a link to property prices and tree felling.

Some campaigners may not care less about the impact of tree felling on property prices - it's certainly not raised as an issue by campaigners in the media etc.

However if house prices were a concern - as you suggested - it would be disingenous to only talk about the unnecessary destruction of trees for private profit if that wasn't their only concern.

Again- I suggested it may be an issue. One that hasn't been discussed. Hence me bringing it up.

"it would be disingenous to only talk about the unnecessary destruction of trees for private profit if that wasn't their only concern" makes no sense whatsoever. I can't work out what it is you're trying to say there at all.

If what you're trying to say is that it is wrong for people to care about private profit AND the environment then you're very mistaken. Profit drives the world- but it doesn't need to be at the expense of the environment.

To be honest though, I think you basically enjoy pulling comments up on here and intentionally misinterpreting them.

Guest makapaka
Again- I suggested it may be an issue. One that hasn't been discussed. Hence me bringing it up.

"it would be disingenous to only talk about the unnecessary destruction of trees for private profit if that wasn't their only concern" makes no sense whatsoever. I can't work out what it is you're trying to say there at all.

If what you're trying to say is that it is wrong for people to care about private profit AND the environment then you're very mistaken. Profit drives the world- but it doesn't need to be at the expense of the environment.

To be honest though, I think you basically enjoy pulling comments up on here and intentionally misinterpreting them.

It would be disingenuous because no one (other than you) is outwardly saying their house price (which is linked to personal gain) is a factor. If it isn’t - fine, if it was they should say so.

Offering alternative viewpoints is not misinterpretation by the way.

For those interested, Toby Foster's show on BBC Sheffield was very interesting listening.

The interview with Darren Butt of Amey is at 1hr 20 mins and is well worth a listen......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05sskcr

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 15:05 ----------

It would be disingenuous because no one (other than you) is outwardly saying their house price (which is linked to personal gain) is a factor. If it isn’t - fine, if it was they should say so.

Offering alternative viewpoints is not misinterpretation by the way.

You're not offering an alternative view though. You never do. You just tell people they're wrong.

I'm not convinced you know the meaning of the word 'disingenuous', which is:

"not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does".

Please explain to me how that applies to me wondering if locals are concerned about house prices?

Guest makapaka
For those interested, Toby Foster's show on BBC Sheffield was very interesting listening.

The interview with Darren Butt of Amey is at 1hr 20 mins and is well worth a listen......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05sskcr

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 15:05 ----------

You're not offering an alternative view though. You never do. You just tell people they're wrong.

I'm not convinced you know the meaning of the word 'disingenuous', which is:

"not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does".

Please explain to me how that applies to me wondering if locals are concerned about house prices?

I just have - the use of the word is correct.

There would be nothing disingenous about it if people came out and said "I don't want these trees cut down because it will affect my house price".

But people aren't saying that are they - either because they don't think it - or they do and they're not being candid or sincere.

I don't recall saying anything was wrong - I just asked a question and then gave an opinion - you then accused me of misinterpreting, twisting, being argumentative etc. etc. - I don't think it's me that has the problem here.

I don't think the residents would have been thinking of how much profit they would get on a future house sale when they first moved in? I'm guessing they would be thinking 'Just managed to get the money together for the mortgage to live on this nice treelined road.'