Council tree felling...

Insightful chat with a couple in the pub the other night. A relative of the woman works for Streets Ahead (Amey), out of the Olive Rd depot.

Apparently,.Amey are attempting to alter the working T & Cs of their staff, including changing shift patterns. Its not going down to well, especially with those workers who were transferred over from SCC. The unions are now involved & it looks like the workers are to ne balloted for industrial action.

The woman also said that her brother & the rest of the staff are continually reminded not to discuss matters with the press or general public, (but I guess you can't stop families from discussing such matters), on fear of being dismissed.

I've always thought it strange that there are all the people posting comments, yet not one comment ever appears to come from a SCC or Amey workers to let us really know what's going on, even though they have the anonymity of a nom de guerre?

I've always thought it strange that there are all the people posting comments, yet not one comment ever appears to come from a SCC or Amey workers to let us really know what's going on, even though they have the anonymity of a nom de guerre?

SF isn't used by that many people - even in its heyday for example only a couple of councillors used the Forum. You'll find usage on most forums going down as more people use facebook, twitter and other social media.

ginally Posted by Baron99 View Post

SF isn't used by that many people - even in its heyday for example only a couple of councillors used the Forum. You'll find usage on most forums going down as more people use facebook, twitter and other social media.

It take what you say on board, which is a shame really, as since I put my first post on SF on a totally different topic, I've found SF & it's posters very informative & amusing but going back to my latest posting above, you'd think that with the fact the topic has been viewed over 22,600 time, there would be a least 1 SSC / Amey worker to add something to the debate?

There is no anonymity on a forum such as this. Members details can easily be obtained by someone with a desire to find them. Why would a SCC employee risk their job by posting on here just to have their words twisted out of context and an argument start.

There is no anonymity on a forum such as this. Members details can easily be obtained by someone with a desire to find them. Why would a SCC employee risk their job by posting on here just to have their words twisted out of context and an argument start.

Fair point.

I'm the Lord Mayor, but don't tell anyone ;-)

Pleased to meet you. I'm Mr Alan MEY. :D

---------- Post added 06-02-2018 at 20:22 ----------

Following on from a letter to The Star last week from someone in Totley who was complaining about delays to scheduled work that should have taken place a number of times over the past few months, another letter to The Star, clearly relating to this topic for Nether Edge.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/your-say/why-isn-t-resurfacing-being-completed-1-9000828

In reply to the Totley story, Streets Ahead said it was down to a new subcontractor being used & resurfacing work would go ahead in the next few months.

Funny, I thought we'd paid the billions to Amey to carry out the full job?

Last night on BBC there was a programme about IKEA,very interesting . One fact that came out IKEA use the equivalent of 70 million trees a year in their furniture. This makes the small number of trees in being cut down fade into irrevelance with regard to Oxygen levels on the planet. Will the protesters now also turn to IKEA and refuse their products and protest on site.

70 million trees being cut down is massive ,plus how many trees are being cut down to feed Drax power station yet no protests seems very strange ,perhaps a poet being there would help !,

Guest makapaka
Pleased to meet you. I'm Mr Alan MEY. :D

---------- Post added 06-02-2018 at 20:22 ----------

Following on from a letter to The Star last week from someone in Totley who was complaining about delays to scheduled work that should have taken place a number of times over the past few months, another letter to The Star, clearly relating to this topic for Nether Edge.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/your-say/why-isn-t-resurfacing-being-completed-1-9000828

In reply to the Totley story, Streets Ahead said it was down to a new subcontractor being used & resurfacing work would go ahead in the next few months.

Funny, I thought we'd paid the billions to Amey to carry out the full job?

They were talking about ameys subcontractor weren’t they?

Last night on BBC there was a programme about IKEA,very interesting . One fact that came out IKEA use the equivalent of 70 million trees a year in their furniture. This makes the small number of trees in being cut down fade into irrevelance with regard to Oxygen levels on the planet. Will the protesters now also turn to IKEA and refuse their products and protest on site.

70 million trees being cut down is massive ,plus how many trees are being cut down to feed Drax power station yet no protests seems very strange ,perhaps a poet being there would help !,

There's no comparison at all.

Wood for things like that (that isn't recycled, as much of it now is) usually comes from specially dedicated sustainable areas, where trees are grown to be cut down, and immediately replaced.

Maybe a little research and understanding of why people don't protest about items being made from wood is needed, rather than taking the full 'protest is wrong' stance?

Might also be worth pointing out that 'protesting', which you seem to be so keen to mock, is responsible for the standard of life we all now enjoy.