Council tree felling...

thanks for the info, I will have a look

Gazza, have a look HERE also.

Personally I've not read the report for every tree on APR, but certainly read enough to realise tha,t in some instances, the residents agree that certain tree(s) should be replaced.

Guest makapaka
There's a common theme to many of your posts here. You seem to be under the impression that if the police arrest someone, that person is the bad/wrong party, and, if they don't arrest someone, that person is the good/right party.

Well not really - but it's a good indicator of who is perceived to be acting lawfully isn't it?

Granted - whether or not charges are brought is another matter.

Well not really - but it's a good indicator of who is perceived to be acting lawfully isn't it?

Granted - whether or not charges are brought is another matter.

And yet, no tree protester has ever reached court on any charge (apart from breaking the injunction, which is isn't arrestable/chargeable).

Guest makapaka
And yet, no tree protester has ever reached court on any charge (apart from breaking the injunction, which is isn't arrestable/chargeable).

See my post above.

Guest makapaka
Which post would that be?

The one directly above where I said I agreed that the courts will decide whether to prosecute.

David Hartley from syp said their had been 9 arrests of protestors with investigations ongoing this morning. None from amey.

The one directly above where I said I agreed that the courts will decide whether to prosecute.

Nowhere on the previous page do you mention courts. The thing I was replying to was your implication that the existence of arrests is strong evidence of wrongdoing. I provided evidence that in the history of the tree protests, there has been an underlying pattern of arrests followed by no court action, which suggests you *cannot* make that assumption.

David Hartley from syp said their had been 9 arrests of protestors with investigations ongoing this morning. None from amey.

Protesters are generally arrested under section 303 of the Highways Act, which is a level 1 offence on the standard scale. For comparison, littering in a public place is at level 4.

Of course the police aren't arresting Amey staff. That's what we are complaining about.

The trees are still going to be felled,the protests are a minor detail for amey to deal with.The police will arrest anyone who breaks the law at the protests,thats what they are there for.I think the police have been reluctant to arrest either side,looks like public disorder charges would be more likely anywhere else.

Edited by lottiecass
addition

The trees are still going to be felled,the protests are a minor detail for amey to deal with..

Amey have been managing to successfully fell about one tree per week so far this year. The protests are a *huge* problem to them at the moment.

---------- Post added 07-03-2018 at 14:45 ----------

A recent post to the STAG facebook page by an Abbeydale Park Rise resident nicely sums up how we ended up here:

"a small minority of people continue to deliberately obstruct our lawful work"... No, Darren.

The residents of Abbeydale Park Rise held several meetings with all residents invited and Councillor Colin Ross in attendance. They did two tree walks, one with Amey, trying to make sense of why one tree would be listed for felling but another would not. We made a detailed report into every tree, related issues and a route forward to reach agreement - 50 pages in total. We met with you and took you through the report.

Your response by email: "Thank you for your report, the contents of which I note. We are going ahead as planned."

So now residents are organised to defend every tree until the bullying stops and a sensible plan is reached. We don't say that no trees should be replaced. We do say that the plan must make sense for arboricultural, highways and local environment reasons.

Then you won't need vans full of police officers, security staff, big metal fences and spooky surveillance.

Let's talk.

The trees are still going to be felled,the protests are a minor detail for amey to deal with.The police will arrest anyone who breaks the law at the protests,thats what they are there for.I think the police have been reluctant to arrest either side,looks like public disorder charges would be more likely anywhere else.

If it wasn't for the protesters, a LOT more trees would now be gone. As Dave says, felling is now approx 1 tree a week.

At some point SCC and Amey will be stopped- all they have on their side is force- no evidence or reason to back up their insane tree cull operation.

5 labour groups have now distanced themselves from the Labour council, issuing public condemnations of what's going on.

Nationally, more and more groups are becoming aware of what's going on in Sheffield. More and more prominent celebrities are joining calls to end the cull. While celebrity has it's issues, celebrities certainly have huge numbers of contacts, and, therefore power/influence.

When SCC and Amey are stopped, there will, at that point, be hundreds of trees that survived soley due to the actions of the protesters.