Feet and inches

I still work in feet inches and yards , pounds and ounces and stones. Hate all this metric rubbish .

I find it helps to be able to visualise a few basic measurements:

Width of little finger about 1cm

Palm of the hand is roughly 10cm

and a 12" ruler is 30cm.

I have nothing to help visualise /convert Kilograms or Litres, maybe someone on SF can help?

now we are leaving the dreaded eu can we now go back to metric ? can i pop down to wickes and buy a 8x4 sheet of wood instead of 2400x1200 .when ive loaded said piece of wood on my pickup can i fill up with gallons of diesel in stead of litres. on my way home can i nip in pub for a quick half instead of 330ml. calling into the shop can i get a quarter of sweets for the kids instead of 100mg . bring back the good old days :hihi:

Think you mean imperial.

I agree with you and let's get back to £.s.d. too. Mind you have you seen the size of the half-crown? It's ginormous - two of those in your pocket and you'll fall over :hihi:

Feet, inches and yards can be a more natural, rule of thumb way of visualizing quantities or lengths, ie, 1 1/2" or 38mm, 6ft 1" or 1.85m, 1LB or 454g, 1/4 mile or 402m, 1cu ft= 0.028 cu mtr, or 28316 cu cm.

True. Nobody has ever visualised a metre as 1/10 000 of the Earth's circumference, I think.