Feet and inches

Calling metric rubbish and hating it is a typical UK fish and chips mentality that explains why they cant get their head round it.

In Ontario we all worked happily with both systems.

We still have an authentic old fashioned dial phone, hate these new computerised ones, terrible, cant get my head around it.

The metric system is just pure commom sense. One litre of water weighs a Kilo. If you can show me on the imperial system how that equates l may accept that the imperial system of weight and measures has some validity. For nostalga reasons a pint of beer and milk is ok but as a serious system of measuring it's ridiculous. Liquid, length or weight none of it fits together....

See, I never knew that.

1 imperial gallon of water ..... 10 pounds

Well I never new that. how does that equate to a ton?

I don't even know how many pounds there are in a ton. If l were to give you 56 pints of water what would that weigh, without weighing it?

For example one litre of water = 1 KG. 1000 litre water = 1 tonne 56 litre of water 56 KG, easy

1pint=20 fluid oz=1 1/4 lbs

1lb=16 oz

Having used metric for the last 60 years the above is confusing

---------- Post added 11-12-2017 at 15:22 ----------

Nasa got the units mixed up on a Mars mission (1999)

https://www.wired.com/2010/11/1110mars-climate-observer-report/

An Air Canada Boeing 767 ran out of fuel because of mistakes in fuel conversion (1983)

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/07/30/us/jet-s-fuel-ran-out-after-metric-conversion-errors.html

And don't forget the pig's ear they made of that space telescope

Well I never new that. how does that equate to a ton?

I don't even know how many pounds there are in a ton. If l were to give you 56 pints of water what would that weigh, without weighing it?

For example one litre of water = 1 KG. 1000 litre water = 1 tonne 56 litre of water 56 KG, easy

The imperial gallon was originally defined in that way.

56 pints ... 7 gallons .... 70 pounds

The question here is this.

Do we like the imperial system of weights and measure because it is better or because of nostalga. I cannot in all honesty see where it is better. Perhaps someone can explain why it is better and what advantages there are over the metric system.

It gets worse when to get to small measurements What the hell is 25 64ths of an inch??? or something along those lines. I know there are 1000 microns in a millimetre and the numbers go up, 1 micron is a thousand times smaller than a millimetre and 500 is half a mil 999 is very nearly a millimetre etc.