Feet and inches

Most people stop developing at a very young age. Once they pumped an old fashioned twisted system in their brain they stop developing and live like frightened zombies until they die. Few have the intelligence or capacity to move forward and actually let go of old fashioned habits to make room for easy and better developed systems.

Holding on to past, fear of anything from abroad is a strong cultural character I observe in people around me.

"............................ Half the participants were liberals, and half conservatives. The imaginary superpower had no impact on liberals’ social attitudes. “Feeling physically safe,” however, “significantly changed the conservative participants’ social attitudes to being similar to those of liberals.”

This worked, he explains, because research has found that “conservatives have larger fear centres of the brain. They’re more concerned with physical safety than liberals.”......................."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/08/yale-psychologist-john-bargh-politicians-want-us-to-be-fearful-theyre-manipulating-us-for-their-own-interest

I think it's important to remember how we got metric. There was not a great popular groundswell of support for metric - anything but. It was a top down decision from government; "You're having it and that's that".

Same in Australia, where broadcasters forbade their employees mentioning the old measures. Same in Canada. It was an authoritarian and anti democratic move.

Imperial measure is a very tribal system used and favoured by tribal minded people who fail to see their individual freedom and instead of being really free they will say that they are a free member of society. But real freedom only comes when you are free from your tribal society. There is a strong level of egoistic identification attached to measurement systems that hold historic cultural values.

Metric is scientific. It was originally made for commercial use but quickly attracted science and developers who immediately dropped the old awkward tribal measurement systems. It made things a lot easier for them, less energy wasted on silly non decimal calculation so they could focus more on the essential matters.

Government knows the old fashioned systems were only designed for the old market place and medieval building site. Metric is more useful in labs and todays supermarkets, even USA uses metric for many supermarket products now.

Holding on to tribal measure systems reveals the real nature and priorities of certain people, they will get angry and hate the other systems saying it is against their freedom and start aggressively defending their ancient loved systems.

I think it's important to remember how we got metric. There was not a great popular groundswell of support for metric - anything but. It was a top down decision from government; "You're having it and that's that".

Same in Australia, where broadcasters forbade their employees mentioning the old measures. Same in Canada. It was an authoritarian and anti democratic move.

What are the disadvantages of the metric system?

What are the disadvantages of the metric system?

It is not British.

Now you can say I am British cause I use imperial, when using metric that identification is gone.

It is an emotional issue, like losing your wife. Even when the new foreign wife is better they rather keep the old crap one cause she is British.

It is only a measure system but I used both and have seen people go anal over what system to use for whatever reason. It is usually the imperial lovers who have emotional identification issues with the system who feel culturally raped when told to use metric.

I think it is important to remember the very different attitudes people had to the introduction of the metric and SI system.

Some businesses saw loss of profit caused their loss of opportunity opportunity to deceive consumers. A minority of loud people objected in principle to the decimal money system and metrification based on some bizzare nationalist notion.

More were concerned with associated issues such as fraud, cost, inflation and impact on older people. The media combined them together to form an "oppsition" which melted away as the benefits got clearer.

Similarly with the introduction of standardization using metric and later metric SI units. Individuals who worked across units like engineers and manufacturers quickly appreciated the benefits of transferrable and accurate units. Consumers benefited from fraud reduction and ability to compare.

Like the introduction of:-

Hanging

Breathalyser

Seat Belts

Slavery

Driving on the right.

Okay, I made some of them up but its not that simple.

Holding on to tribal measure systems reveals the real nature and priorities of certain people, they will get angry and hate the other systems saying it is against their freedom and start aggressively defending their ancient loved systems.

a bit like what you are doing now :suspect: