Homeatherapy:and arthritis

Thanks Hecate. Getting advice from those in the kno (NHS) is proving to be so difficult though. All they see is the present time. I'm worried about the future. Most drugs have side effects, I realize that. And if she was a lot older, I wouldnt be quite so concerned, in that she might have had her family and a good part of her life unaffected. But shes 19 and not even begun to live her life. I've spoken to a few people associated with charities for arthritis, but they're reluctant to advise another Doctors patient, although they've been as helpful as they can be.

Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt consider any treatment without consulting her Consultant. It just seems to me that its a mighty strong drug for someone so young to be taking for such a long time. Im at my wits end and quite frankly, feel like my hands are tied, as her mother. I just want to help her. But I dont know where to go for it. :confused:

My wife suffers with mild arthritis which inflames her joints for days. Having tried the conventional medicines without much sucess I wondered if anyone out there had any ideas on how to alleviate the pain. I have bought her some Homeatherapy tablets from the chemist but don't really know what to buy.

Any ideas please folks :help:

Does your wife have osteoarthritis? I have it in both hips and am for the most part bound to a wheelchair. Two diclofenac capsules per day, which are prescription drugs, take away most of the pain but you have to take another tablet to prevent a particular side-effect which prevents you from eating every once in a while. It’s happened to me twice in 12 years.

If the pain becomes intense I used to take another prescription cream, but have found that Voltarol, an over the counter cream, works better. When I only had mild arthritis I was prescribed Voltarol in tablet form.

If your wife has the other type of arthritis she should consullt her Doctor immediately.

There is no scientific evidence for homoeopathy to work, and has even been tested on TV, but it does. Not always, and not for everyone, but it's the same with other meds.

Well, that's the placebo effect for you.

Thanks Hecate. Getting advice from those in the kno (NHS) is proving to be so difficult though. All they see is the present time. I'm worried about the future. Most drugs have side effects, I realize that. And if she was a lot older, I wouldnt be quite so concerned, in that she might have had her family and a good part of her life unaffected. But shes 19 and not even begun to live her life. I've spoken to a few people associated with charities for arthritis, but they're reluctant to advise another Doctors patient, although they've been as helpful as they can be.

Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt consider any treatment without consulting her Consultant. It just seems to me that its a mighty strong drug for someone so young to be taking for such a long time. Im at my wits end and quite frankly, feel like my hands are tied, as her mother. I just want to help her. But I dont know where to go for it. :confused:

Elly, I have Arthritis since I was fifteen, and although it has affected my life, it certainly hasn't ruined it. Don't despair too much though as there have been some huge improvements in the way that Arthur is treated, and a lot of research is ongoing, so hopefully in the next mmmmmm however long, there will be some other giant leaps forward in the treatment of this horrible disease that afflicts so many of us.

Don't let the bugger grind you down :thumbsup:

Elly, I have Arthritis since I was fifteen, and although it has affected my life, it certainly hasn't ruined it. Don't despair too much though as there have been some huge improvements in the way that Arthur is treated, and a lot of research is ongoing, so hopefully in the next mmmmmm however long, there will be some other giant leaps forward in the treatment of this horrible disease that afflicts so many of us.

Don't let the bugger grind you down :thumbsup:

Thanks Owdlad. This is what I need to hear, someone who's gone through it at an early age and who's coped with it. Shes gets very despondant sometimes and its hard to know what to say ie encouragement etc. I try to keep optimistic for her, but there are times when I just dont know how to support her or how to keep her optimistic. Cheers!:thumbsup:

Your wife needs to cut acid and acid-forming foods out of her diet. I can email you a low-acid diet sheet if you PM me your email address.

If you want to take the homoeopathic route, it might be an idea to go for a consulatation; ...

..and of course it won't work because homeopathy is bunkum

I honestly don't think anything works, especially home remedies, if taking something makes you feel better for a while, it's just a coincidence, arthritis is something you just have to tollerate, unless it theres need for a joint replacement.

Thanks Owdlad. This is what I need to hear, someone who's gone through it at an early age and who's coped with it. Shes gets very despondant sometimes and its hard to know what to say ie encouragement etc. I try to keep optimistic for her, but there are times when I just dont know how to support her or how to keep her optimistic. Cheers!:thumbsup:

Elly, if you want to contact me when your daughter is feeling as if the world and it's wife is on her shoulders feel free to PM me and I will offer any help that I can.

Just keep telling her that she is not alone in her suffering.

Your wife needs to cut acid and acid-forming foods out of her diet. I can email you a low-acid diet sheet if you PM me your email address.

If you want to take the homoeopathic route, it might be an idea to go for a consulatation; you get a great insight as to what it's all about and you get to talk about yourself for over an hour :thumbsup: which in itself is very therapeutic :)

In the meantime, get her to drink lots of water and avoid obviously acidic foods.

There is a great book called Curing Arthritis the Drug Free Way (check Amazon) and the story of its author is quite compelling.

Thanks for that lizzmobile I will take you up on the offer of the low acid diet sheet and pm you soon.

my wife suffers from palidromic arthritis which means she can sometimes be pain free for months, but then for no apparent reason she suffers pain for hours or even days .Evening time seems to be worse !

We have tried to work out if it seems to be linked to her diet so I have ordered the book you recommended and hope to receive it soon.

thanks for the advice and also to the other contributors :thumbsup:

keep smiling

hi mountainbike

i have had rheumatoid arthritis for 2 years i got it when i was 20, it stopped me doing thing for the first few month, as my bone joints hurt to much to move them,but i went to hospital and they put me on tablets, now i can move around better thanks to methotrexate and voltarol. :clap:

Archived