Racist blackamoor broach.

I don't understand, why is a broach featuring a black figure considered racist, but a similar broach featuring a white figure, isn't considered racist?

Goes back to the days when black people were slaves. I think it's political correctness going too far. It is a piece of antique jewellery. The media are the people causing the trouble.

Goes back to the days when black people were slaves. I think it's political correctness going too far. It is a piece of antique jewellery. The media are the people causing the trouble.

Yes, of course I get the slavery connection. I just don't see why people seem to think it endorses or condones slavery. In fact, it seems more prejudice to say we can't wear such things (reinforces notion that black and white are separate rather than one humanity, also suggests weakness of black people that we must hide anything that may cause offence). I don't know, but would imagine more white people get in a tizwaz about this, than black people do?

Yes, of course I get the slavery connection. I just don't see why people seem to think it endorses or condones slavery. In fact, it seems more prejudice to say we can't wear such things (reinforces notion that black and white are separate rather than one humanity, also suggests weakness of black people that we must hide anything that may cause offence). I don't know, but would imagine more white people get in a tizwaz about this, than black people do?

I agree with what you write. A person can own a antique picture of a foxhunting scene, but that doesn't mean that person also supports foxhunting. Too many people enjoy getting offended on behalf of others.

Indeed many Blackamoor pieces of art or jewellery were create as a tribute to the person they represented.

The piece in question depicts the bust of somebody wearing a crown and jewels. If it was showing somebody in chains I would obviously understand why it would be inappropriate.

This is the media trying to make a story out of nothing.

Brilliant. The historically uneducated xenophobes of Sheffield come out in force.

The historically uneducated are those that think jewellery depicting a black person has to be racist.

---------- Post added 23-12-2017 at 11:32 ----------

Would you wear a nazi emblem/broach after all it’s a piece of jewellery?

That's an obvious false equivalence. I would hope that most people are smart enough that it doesn't need to be explained why.