Racist blackamoor broach.

Not if the association has been made to “slavery”.

If the brooch was a symbol or emblem of the Royal African Company or the Abir Congo Company, for example, then I would agree wearing it could be comparable in offence to wearing a Nazi brooch.

As the brooch is a just a general piece of Blackamoor decorative art then the equivalence just isn't there.

If the brooch was a symbol or emblem of the Royal African Company or the Abir Congo Company, for example, then I would agree wearing it could be comparable in offence to wearing a Nazi brooch.

As the brooch is a just a general piece of Blackamoor decorative art then the equivalence just isn't there.

Then you need to address ‘ lockdoctor’ and his post.

This is from The Mail online:

Blackamoors first emerged during the Middle Ages when Europeans first encountered the Moors, dark-skinned Muslims from North Africa and the Middle East who came to occupy various parts of the continent.

The African figure is typically depicted with a turban, dressed in lavish jewels and are commonly fixed in positions of servitude—such as footmen or waiters. They are usually carved from ebony or painted black in the case of porcelain.

While they became an art form in the 17th and 18th centuries, particularly in Italy, many believe the figures suggest ‘racial conquest’.

I can understand the criticism and we'll never know if it was just thoughtlessness on her part or a deliberate rebuke to Harry getting engaged to a mixed race woman. Given that we have people in this country who want to machine gun us, blow us up or drive over us on pavements for not being Muslims, she's a long way down my hate list.

It seems that some people will be offended by this, and others not.

I’m sitting on the fence because I don’t know the full history of this art, but one thing is for sure if there is controversy over its depiction of black people then it was a really really bad idea for the princess to wear it to meet a person of black heritage.

Like stupidly bad. That’s the story.

There is no need for a full-on defence of the right for people to wear controversial badges of belief or identity, just for acknowledgement that the princess made a mistake that she herself admitted.

Goes back to the days when black people were slaves. I think it's political correctness going too far. It is a piece of antique jewellery. The media are the people causing the trouble.

i understood not only black people were slaves so why the fuss what about white figures on a broach?

there is or was a pub called the Blackamoor in Sheffield?

Given that we have people in this country who want to machine gun us, blow us up or drive over us on pavements for not being Muslims, she's a long way down my hate list.

Really? You should tell my Muslim neighbours to hurry up then!

I’ve been living next door to them for a couple of years now, and they’ve not machine-gunned me, or blown me up, or driven over me on the pavement yet!

I admit, they do park on double yellow lines a lot though.

Then you need to address ‘ lockdoctor’ and his post.

Firstly, a general comment - it's brooch, not broach.

Secondly, I would agree with Lockdoctor that someone can own an old picture of fox hunting and not personally agree with fox hunting, although I would question the relevance in this scenario.

The brooch in question is not a symbol of slavery.

I’m not sure that the brooch itself is racist, but wearing it in this context could be viewed as provocative. You’d expect a member of the royal family to think a little harder about what she was wearing, especially given Megan Markle’s attendance.

Mind you, Princess Michael does have borderline racist tendencies. She’s the one who suggested that some fellow guests should “get back to the colonies” a few years ago. Maybe it wasn’t an accident that she chose to wear the brooch.