Racist blackamoor broach.

Understand what you mean, altus, although as an anti-EU person (since the days of the initial 'Common Market') we ain't going to agree on that angle.:)

I didn't expect you to, my point in this instance is that brexit has to look to the future - an attempt to recreate the world of 1953 is doomed to fail.

A better example in the context of this thread would be the romanticisation of the confederacy in the US southern states.

OK. what about all the diamonds that were mined during colonial days - surely wearing jewelry that has those is just as bad...

Which is not at all - it is just the press trying to sell papers.

What next - wedding rings indicate servitude ("to love and obey")

Earring indicating you are a slave or a prostitute - "In ancient Rome earrings were worn only by slaves, while in ancient Greece they were the ornament of prostitutes."

http://jewellerypassion.net/the-history-of-earrings/

No, this is all, once again, a non-story eagerly siezed upon by the good trolls of SF - just wait and see, it'll be in the Star next!

Well, I don't know, as the OP never gave a link to back up his post, but as the one linked later was the British Bullcarp Corporation in a typical slow news period....................

The person who gave anybody who wanted to make an issue of this was......Princess Michael

And she already considers it a mistake and has already apologised.

Remember that these stories also provide very fertile ground for the anti-PC right wing media.

The person who gave anybody who wanted to make an issue of this was......Princess Michael

And she already considers it a mistake and has already apologised.

Remember that these stories also provide very fertile ground for the anti-PC right wing media.

I bet she dosent see it as a mistake and just apologised to quieten the pc brigade

---------- Post added 23-12-2017 at 20:10 ----------

Has anyone asked Miss Markel if she was 'offended' or is this another example of 'offence from a distance', or 'I think it's time to stir up unecessary trouble'?

Be surprised if Miss Markel knew what a Blackamoor was

Thought you said ,you were sitting on the fence

I am ;)

In the same post I stated that if there were any racist connotations to the jewelry its best to avoid wearing it just in case. That’s just common sense, and anybody who can’t apply that simple logic is stupid. You are arguing that she only apologised to appease the PC brigade....

In subsequent posts I’ve tried to rationalise why she did it, and gave her some benefit of the doubt.