Psalter lane art college - the end

it is indeedy closing... i think it sucks as altho it is a bit of a dump, it is great having somewhere away from the norm and regulation of collegiate and city.. in a little world of out own where it is okay to be different and creative. we'll be 3rd year teaching students by the time it moves so at least we wont have to have much to do with the uni then, we'll be on placement but it will be a massive shame.

p.s. thought it was going to city not collegiate?

I heard a rumour that both Universities were discussing a joint venture.

Nationally the move is towards consolidation. In both London and Liverpool, new Universities of the Arts have been established and existing resources pooled. Sheffield tends to be a 'follower' city rather than an 'early adopter' but we do tend to 'ape' the activities of the other 'core' cities so I really wouldn't be suprised if we have a third university by 2012 and that in all likelihood it will be 'industry-facing creative' (whatever this means). However given the 'blazing saddles cardboard town' nature of the CIQ to-date, one wonders where the industry that this body might face lies.

• 2 months later...
... I also worked as a photograper and writer for climbing magazines, indeed being involved in the launch of one many years ago...
Hi Al!

I missed your posts before, obviously didn't read the whole thread....

I wondered where you ended up as I'm out of touch.

Fran

• 10 months later...

Well, ironically, this semester is going to be the last for Psalter Lane. Unaware when I started my first year there art studies, apparently bumping into people from the then polytechnic, it was assigned to demolition more than 20 years ago (i think that's what i remember being told).

Kinda makes me wish I was an art student less of a studier of, the making and creating process seems amazing for the hundreds of students up there. Sure, the food sucks, and the toilets remind you of something you recall hiding your shoes when in nursery, and the nearest cash point is ten mins walk away, but there is a definite charisma about the place, and I for one am just rather happy I managed to experience at least on term of it. My condolences go to the university themselves, money over morals, a classic clase of Hallam's dedication to the student experience, but hopefully where the atmosphere is lost, some facilities may be gained (although that is in itself debatable-sharing them with external companies).

Well, I guess the residents can have their whole one and a half length's parking spaces, and pub lunches served in 5 instead of ten mins, but I shall sorely miss that beautiful old place *sniff*....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am currently studying Graphic Design at Psalter lane campus and i have to draw/paint something on the wall, that symbolises what the building has ment to past/present students. My plan so far is to paint a gravestone on the wall with a quote/poem that shows how people felt about the campus.As i am only in my first year in sheffield the building doesnt really mean that much to me and so i am having trouble thinking of something to write.

It would b a great help to me if u could please tell me what the campus ment to youand how you felt while you were studying there. If you could reply asap that would b great!Just a few words will be fine :)

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I am currently studying Graphic Design at Psalter lane campus and i have to draw/paint something on the wall, that symbolises what the building has ment to past/present students.

Hi fossil89 I'm in my final year and love the place so would be happy to give you a free words/thoughts if you want. I'm up there most days atm so drop me an email johntydelmonte@gmail.com :)

People, I'm doing an audio piece on Psalter for the purposes of the final year project and would love to hear from anyone that has anything interesting they'd like to share about the campus. The piece is going to feature in the end of campus celebrations and it'd be great to hear from anyone that has a particuarly poignant memory, story or opinion on the place.

Cheers :)