Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

'Subsidising', I would say, is not the right word. I was talking about taxi's being allowed to use bus lanes, and gave several good justifications for that.

Subsidising is a very good term.

My (and your) taxes are being used to give a pecuniary advantage to taxi drivers, whether plying, carrying a fare, doing their own shopping or whatever.

As in some other towns, it should be stopped.

Subsidising is a very good term.

My (and your) taxes are being used to give a pecuniary advantage to taxi drivers, whether plying, carrying a fare, doing their own shopping or whatever.

As in some other towns, it should be stopped.

Taxis / Private Hire Vehicles are seen as public transport.

One taxi can fulfil the transport needs of many people throughout the day, which means those people don't need to use a car and clog up the already congested streets.

Most towns / cities allow taxis to use bus lanes, some allow Private Hire Vehicles (PHV's).

I'm not aware of any towns / cities where they have actually stopped taxis / PHV's having access. The growing trend is for more towns/cities to allow PHV's in bus lanes.

You also have to remember that decisions like this are political ones, taken by Councillors. The taxi lobby is quite strong politically in Sheffield.

One taxi can fulfil the transport needs of many people throughout the day, which means those people don't need to use a car and clog up the already congested streets.

Most towns / cities allow taxis to use bus lanes, some allow Private Hire Vehicles (PHV's).

Just to correct you.. they are still using a car , it happens to be a taxi.. So they are still clogging the streets.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Just to correct you.. they are still using a car , it happens to be a taxi.. So they are still clogging the streets.

They are using one car for many trips during the day. If all the taxi users brought their own car, there would be a lot more cars on the streets.

Why do lazy pig headed entitled drivers need to use bus lanes?

We can all ask questions dear. Try answering some.

You have still failed in giving any legitimate reason why you NEED to use a bus lane.

Lets see your "effort".

I suppose you are one of the cycle idiots who prefer to use the pavements or not bother stopping at red lights

I'm not aware of any towns / cities where they have actually stopped taxis / PHV's having access. The growing trend is for more towns/cities to allow PHV's in bus lanes.

You also have to remember that decisions like this are political ones, taken by Councillors. The taxi lobby is quite strong politically in Sheffield.

Taxi drivers mostly have only one passenger at a time.

At rush hour times I doubt very much that they can commute multiple people separately to their places of work at different parts of the city.

When a typical person travels to work in their car, the car will generally be sat going nowhere for eight hours until the home commute. Taxis drive around all day/night.

Edited by Guest

When a typical person travels to work in their car, the car will generally be sat going nowhere for eight hours until the home commute. Taxis drive around all day/night.

So using a taxi reduces the demand for parking as well as reducing the overall number of cars using the road.