Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

I think its obvious that the biggest reason is consistency. Far easier for drivers to remember the rules if they stick strictly to EXACTLY what the signs say, no exceptions.

To implement a day that is contrary to signage not only confuses the message but also risks mistakes by operators accidentally rejecting valid infractions, as is easily done when you are batch hitting "reject, reject, reject". Its far simpler for an operator to know that every single video they are reviewing was taken during a valid period (as the system is programmed to only register during the correct hours), than to have to remember that one day of the year there will be entries they should ignore. Its just asking for mistakes to be made and then more costs to the council from people contesting those mistakes.

Anyone who has ever had to review batches of photos on a computer will know how easy it is to get into a rhythm after deleting several in sequence and end up accidentally deleting something you didn't mean to. You really have to imagine what it is like to be doing that job for hours on end to appreciate that having any exception to the normal procedure is a real problem.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Which of his reasons did you agree with, he's tried several, quite a few have been refuted.

Like "it's too difficult", he tried that one, clearly it isn't though.

I haven't seen anything that anyone one here has said that has convincingly "refuted" the reasons I've put forward.

I've told you the exact reasons why the Council enforce.

You may not agree with them. You may not think they are good reasons. You may want to change what is happening now, but the reasons I've given are correct.

The simple fact is that the Council will continue to enforce on Xmas Day and Bank Holidays because it considers that it is the right thing to do. Councils are political organisations, if you don't like what they are doing and want it to change, tell your Councillors.

I haven't seen anything that anyone one here has said that has convincingly "refuted" the reasons I've put forward.

I've told you the exact reasons why the Council enforce.

You may not agree with them. You may not think they are good reasons. You may want to change what is happening now, but the reasons I've given are correct.

The simple fact is that the Council will continue to enforce on Xmas Day and Bank Holidays because it considers that it is the right thing to do. Councils are political organisations, if you don't like what they are doing and want it to change, tell your Councillors.

Your specific argument of "it's too difficult" was clearly nonsense.

You subsequently said that all contraventions are reviewed, which makes it trivial and cost free to waive them on that day, even if (as is likely) the system cannot be configured to exclude that day.

Your argument about it confusion is more subjective. Nobody can prove without trying it whether this would actually be true.

And that's it, those are the reasons you've given. But at least you've given some.

We know that they do enforce and probably will continue to enforce, nobody expected a discussion to change that, it doesn't make them right for doing so though.

Guest makapaka
Your specific argument of "it's too difficult" was clearly nonsense.

You subsequently said that all contraventions are reviewed, which makes it trivial and cost free to waive them on that day, even if (as is likely) the system cannot be configured to exclude that day.

Your argument about it confusion is more subjective. Nobody can prove without trying it whether this would actually be true.

And that's it, those are the reasons you've given. But at least you've given some.

We know that they do enforce and probably will continue to enforce, nobody expected a discussion to change that, it doesn't make them right for doing so though.

It doesn't make them wrong for doing so either.

Just where does this extra generated revenue go, understand that approx 41 thousand pounds was raised in fines from the one camera at intake..If the money was spent on maintaining the road structure I wouldn,t object so much, if it contributed in decreasing the council rates bill , which this year is at an increase of 5.99 per cent, that is on top of last years 2.99 percent, and dont forget to add on an additional £8 per house hold for the police and fire brigade.

I live in the intake area and have noticed the road drains blocked to the rim, no wonder the roads are in a treacherous state when it rains and freezers over..I am more of the opinion the 41k like all other raising of revenue goes to non descript projects or day i say it, to pay for a pay rise of the councilors concerned

The only problem if you direct the fines straight into the road upkeep is that the money isn't constant and fluctuates depending on the number of lawbreakers.

If everyone decided to read signs and drive to the letter of the law (stop laughing at the back) then the income would drop the zero.