Are guarantees being eroded.

I just use Costco for all major electrical items because their after sales care is the best I have seen.

I also second Costco, All TVs come with 5 year warranty as do most large electrical items, I bought a LG TV from there about 4 years ago, after 3 years a slight fault appeared on the display, I called their concierge number and they sent someone out, a couple of weeks later they sent me a letter telling me that they wouldn't be repairing the TV and told me to return it along with the letter to Costco for a refund of the full purchase price (£2200), I did this and bought a better TV for £1400. I also have a Samsung Fridge, Freezer and washing machine all with the same warranty.

I'll have to have a look at Costco, sounds like it's just what I'm after.

I quite often shop at John Lewis, and can't fault them, but If I'm spending £800.00 on an Item I want more than a Two year guarantee.

This shortening of the guarantee period is only to get you to buy their extended repair plan as I've said before, I'm sure the manufacturers can and do give you a longer period, but buyng direct can cost more.

Why haven't mine failed in 3 or 4 years? My one gave up the ghost after 8 trouble free years.

Mine is currently 5 1/2 years old, and doing just fine. And it gets used a lot.

---------- Post added 27-12-2017 at 14:22 ----------

You are both incorrect.

The Sale of Goods Act has been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act.

The whole 2-year EU guarantee/warranty is a myth. You have rights under the Consumer Rights Act. It is not as simple as saying it is faulty please refund. During the first 6 months the burden of proof lays with the retailer. After 6 months the onus is on the purchaser to prove the product did not conform to contract at the time of sale. If you cannot prove it the retailer doesn’t have to do anything. However, most products come with a 12-month warranty which covers you for repairs – this is separate from the Consumer Rights Act though, it is in addition to your rights.

If a retailer offers a refund they can reduce the refund to take in to account usage. So even if you can prove an inherent fault in a say a 2-year-old washer the retailer can deduct 2 years use from the refund they give you.

You can make a claim, in England, for up to 6 years after purchase. However, as I said you have to prove the product didn't conform to contract. There is no automatic right within 2 years (EU myth timescale) or within 5 years to receive a repair, replacement or refund.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/pdfs/ukpga_20150015_en.pdf

The argument for an expensive item that broke after 2 years would be that a reasonable person expects an expensive item to be of high quality and 2 years is poor durability.

Goods to be of satisfactory quality

(1) Every contract to supply goods is to be treated as including a term that the

quality of the goods is satisfactory.

(2) The quality of goods is satisfactory if they meet the standard that a reasonable

person would consider satisfactory, taking account of—

(a) any description of the goods,

(b) the price or other consideration for the goods (if relevant), and

© all the other relevant circumstances (see subsection (5)).

(3) The quality of goods includes their state and condition; and the following

aspects (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of

goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually

supplied;

(b) appearance and finish;

© freedom from minor defects;

(d) safety;

(e) durability

I see nothing in section 23 about the right to repair or replace resulting in a partial refund... You can agree to that instead, but you don't have to.

Edited by Cyclone

I also second Costco, All TVs come with 5 year warranty as do most large electrical items, I bought a LG TV from there about 4 years ago, after 3 years a slight fault appeared on the display, I called their concierge number and they sent someone out, a couple of weeks later they sent me a letter telling me that they wouldn't be repairing the TV and told me to return it along with the letter to Costco for a refund of the full purchase price (£2200), I did this and bought a better TV for £1400. I also have a Samsung Fridge, Freezer and washing machine all with the same warranty.

It doesn't seem to cover £800.00 washer/dryers. only 2 years ie ......

2 Year Warranty**

Costco EXTENDS the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years on Computers, Tablets, Major Appliances/White Goods*, Cameras and Camcorders from the date of purchase (applicable for Tablet and Camera purchases made on or after 1st April 2015 and Major Appliance/White Good purchases made on or after 16th May 2016).

What a shame, thought I'd found my store.

Edited by Itrytoplease

Just noticed what you've posted with regard to the washing machine at least, it caught my attention because I am browsing as my machine is starting to get elderly.

If you're spending circa £800 for a washer dryer there are quite a few on the John Lewis website that come with the standard two years, plus an extra three years by redemption- this is the case of the Samsungs and there's an AEG model with 5 years as standard at £899.

That said, looking at JL's own insurance, an extra 3 years on a machine costing more than £500 is £140 (equivalent of £46.66 p.a) or if the machine is less than £500 it's £95 (£31.66 p.a) which is far less perhaps you thought when you posted originally (£5 to £10 monthly or £60-£120 p.a).

I know some of these extended guarantees can be a bit of a rip-off possibly but bearing in mind the complexities of washer-dryers and labour costs, I actually don't think that what they are charging represents too bad value. You could of course just put the money away in a jar in the hope that you don't need it and in 5 years time if the machine has been trouble-free, treat yourself!

Mine is currently 5 1/2 years old, and doing just fine. And it gets used a lot.

---------- Post added 27-12-2017 at 14:22 ----------

The argument for an expensive item that broke after 2 years would be that a reasonable person expects an expensive item to be of high quality and 2 years is poor durability.

I see nothing in section 23 about the right to repair or replace resulting in a partial refund... You can agree to that instead, but you don't have to.

You could argue that but it would still but up to you after the first 6 months to prove that the item did not conform to contract. Just saying that a reasonable person would expect it to last longer is unlikely to hold much sway in court. Bear in mind that you could have broken it youself so some level of proof would normally be required by the courts.

A retailer can refuse a remedy if if is disproportionately costly or if it impossible. "(3) The consumer cannot require the trader to repair or replace the goods if that

remedy (the repair or the replacement)—

(a) is impossible, or

(b) is disproportionate compared to the other of those remedies."

Also note " If the consumer exercises the final right to reject, any refund to the consumer may be reduced by a deduction for use,".

And

"(5) If the consumer has claimed to exercise the final right to reject, the court may order that any reimbursement to the consumer is reduced by a deduction for use, to take account of the use the consumer has had of the goods in the period since they were delivered."

Or you could consider buying from John Lewis who, I understand, have a 2 year warranty on their goods.

John Lewis is usually a 5 year warranty on televisions and 2 years on other electrical goods I think. I got a 5 year warranty with my LG from JL, last November and this November I received letters in an LG envelope offering to extend my warranty with Domestic and General I think it was. They wanted about £8 pm, needless to say I haven't bothered.

Appliances direct offer washing machines with 5 year warranty. EBac (uk made) offer some with a 10 year parts and labour warranty.

Have had a Hoover automatic washing machine for over 20 years still going strong. Made in the Uk not some far eastern country

In that time, only problem I have had is a couple of broken drive belts