Unbelievably stupid people and 999..

I was recently in A&E with a blood dripping ear injury, a large chunk was hanging off, a bloke who came in after me with a cut finger was served first, by the time I was treated about four hours later, the medic who attended me said he couldn't do anything and booked me in at the halamshire for the next morning, great service. One the way home we were chatting to a gun toting pc waiting outside A&E who said being there with a gun was not out of the ordinary for him.

---------- Post added 28-12-2017 at 19:37 ----------

It’s the same with A&E, some people forget it stands for Accident & Emergency and seem to think it stands for anything and everything when they’re sat in there because they’ve got a splinter, or sprained their ankle. It’s a complete waste of the NHS’s time and money and could very easily prevent them from saving someone’s life. I think people who waste the emergency services time, whether it be a stupid call to 999, a hoax call getting the fire brigade out or blocking A&E unnecessarily should all be heavily fined! They’d think twice before they did it again.

The triarge, spelling, nurse should filter out all the time wasters, and do a residents check.

The triarge, spelling, nurse should filter out all the time wasters, and do a residents check.

Residents check by triage nurse in A & E?

Surely not.

and why not?

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

Residents check by triage nurse in A & E?

Surely not.

and why not?

NHS principles

There to meet the needs of everyone

Free at the point of delivery

Treatment according to need,not ability to pay.

Triage isn’t the place to ask an injured or sick person anything other than what’s the problem.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

and why not?

NHS principles

There to meet the needs of everyone

Free at the point of delivery

Treatment according to need,not ability to pay.

Triage isn’t the place to ask an injured or sick person anything other than what’s the problem.

We are talking about weeding out people with no right or injury to be in A&E, as for care by necessity as in my example that clearly doesn't always work.Bloke with cut finger treated before open wound ear injury.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

We are talking about weeding out people with no right or injury to be in A&E, as for care by necessity as in my example that clearly doesn't always work.Bloke with cut finger treated before open wound ear injury.

What about residents check.Thats what we were discussing.

Just asking why you want a residence check at triage.

Are you an expert in A&E medicine? A cut finger could require urgent treatment than adue to nerve or tendon damage, potential for time off work, higher risk of subsequent infection etc etc. Triaging out non major alcohol related injuries would have an impact on waiting times too.