Unbelievably stupid people and 999..

Just seen on the Beeb, recordings of three 'emergency' 'phone requests to the Police 999 service...

One bloke asking if Asda was open; a woman stating that there was a cat which wouldn't move from outside her door, and another female complaining that her mother's hairdresser had used the wrong colour.

How are these people so dim?!

Frightening, really...

Hahaha "asking if Asda was open" :hihi:

Are you an expert in A&E medicine? A cut finger could require urgent treatment than adue to nerve or tendon damage, potential for time off work, higher risk of subsequent infection etc etc. Triaging out non major alcohol related injuries would have an impact on waiting times too.

I actually knew the bloke with the cut finger, saw him a few days later me with a full head dressing on and him with a blue plaster on,it took two stitches.

---------- Post added 29-12-2017 at 19:48 ----------

What about residents check.Thats what we were discussing.

Just asking why you want a residence check at triage.

I would have thought that was stating the bleeding obvious, weed out people not entitled to use our health service and discourage time wasters with non urgent conditions.

Edited by choogling

I actually knew the bloke with the cut finger, saw him a few days later me with a full head dressing on and him with a blue plaster on,it took two stitches.

I would have thought that was stating the bleeding obvious, weed out people not entitled to use our health service and discourage time wasters with non urgent conditions.

Notwithstanding your anecdote, how exactly is this weeding out process going to work logistically. What evidence would you need to provide? How long would it take to process and verify, who is going to do it and what about the liability issues if it goes wrong? What if you're admitted drunk, unconscious or incapacitated . It is a non starter and sounds exactly like the kind of claptrap spouted by people who think all the woes of the NHS are due to immigrants, when in reality the pressures on A&E are due to poor education, alcohol and laziness.

Edited by stifflersmom

Notwithstanding your anecdote, how exactly is this weeding out process going to work logistically. What evidence would you need to provide? How long would it take to process and verify, who is going to do it and what about the liability issues if it goes wrong? What if you're admitted drunk, unconscious or incapacitated . It is a non starter and sounds exactly like the kind of claptrap spouted by people who think all the woes of the NHS are due to immigrants, when in reality the pressures on A&E are due to poor education, alcohol and laziness.

How long does it take to say "can I see your passport" after the usual age, date of birth etc. if they are non eu passport holders just inform them they will be billed for treatment. The problems the NHS Is having would be so much easier to cope with if the demand was less.

You do talk some rubbish.

So you have an accident and the first essential is to find an acceptable document to prove that you are a UK resident.

You collapse in the street and the paramedics demand to see your papers before loading you into an ambulance.

What sort of country do you want us to be.

I agree with a clamp down on so called health tourism,and also that time wasters should go straight through the revolving door.

What sort of proportion of illegal or short term immigrants do you imagine are clogging up the A & E department.

Did you have a good look at the doctors,nurses and ancillary staff who attended you in your hour of need?

Hope your ear is healing up nicely

You do talk some rubbish.

So you have an accident and the first essential is to find an acceptable document to prove that you are a UK resident.

You collapse in the street and the paramedics demand to see your papers before loading you into an ambulance.

What sort of country do you want us to be.

I agree with a clamp down on so called health tourism,and also that time wasters should go straight through the revolving door.

What sort of proportion of illegal or short term immigrants do you imagine are clogging up the A & E department.

Did you have a good look at the doctors,nurses and ancillary staff who attended you in your hour of need?

Hope your ear is healing up nicely

Thank you for the concern shown about my accident damaged ear, apart from some lumps of cartlidge deemed to be dead due to not being connected for so long and removed, I have made a full recovery, thanks to the A&E and the Royal Hallamshire ENT dept.The points you make in your latest reply are a gross exaggeration of the point I was trying to make.

Thank you for the concern shown about my accident damaged ear, apart from some lumps of cartlidge deemed to be dead due to not being connected for so long and removed, I have made a full recovery, thanks to the A&E and the Royal Hallamshire ENT dept.The points you make in your latest reply are a gross exaggeration of the point I was trying to make.

Just the practicalities of your proposal

How long does it take to say "can I see your passport" after the usual age, date of birth etc. if they are non eu passport holders just inform them they will be billed for treatment. The problems the NHS Is having would be so much easier to cope with if the demand was less.

But what if you don’t have a passport ?

Many Brexiters don’t hold passports since they’ve never been abroad in their lives.

Yes, I can see you’ve given this matter plenty of thought :nod:

Do you take your passport with you everywhere you go? No-one does, so again, how is this going to work without mandatory ID holding. Your plan is ridiculous, impractical and doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. Moreover it goes against the entire ethos of the NHS. You're trying to conflate health tourism, which in real terms is a small issue, with the misuse of A&E by largely British people. The problem is one of underfunding of education, hospitals and mental health provision.