Rule/ law regarding over the counter medication

Your point is what exactly?

Can you read the op's mind to know what he meant by lozenges ?

If he meant lockets or Halls he would probably have put sweets

https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/beechams-max-throat-relief-lozenge-blackberry/prd-gqt

so thats one thing your wrong about Beechams lozenges - which was exactly my point(available at Sainsburys & Tesco btw) you're just googling and guessing.

Look at the contents of those, not paracetamol and not aspirin, they are not restricted. They're also not Beechams Max Strength which is what you specifically mentioned. I responded regarding the product you mentioned, not every product that Beechams make.

Tyrozets state lozenges -thats two things you're wrong about.

What do you mean they "state lozenges"? There is no paracetamol or aspirin in those lozenges, or any lozenges.

Even the crap lozenges that Sainsburys sell carry a warning " Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you need more information or advice."

If you don't like the ruling at the till a) put the stuff back b)complain to the store c) stop using the store and find a pharmacy.

Well, obviously, but the point I've made, and am correct in making, is that the till is wrong, there is no legal reason to restrict the sale of lozenges in combination with 1 pack of aspirin and 1 pack of paracetamol.

The fact that you don't know what throat lozenges contain doesn't alter that.

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 09:43 ----------

How worthwhile are these laws? There's nothing so stop a person visiting several stores to buy as much of whatever medicine as they like...

I wonder if and how they measure the efficacy of such a law, how many people per year does it prevent from OD'ing?

"Deaths from paracetamol overdoses fell by 43% in England and Wales in the 11 years after the law on pack sizes was changed, according to a study.

But the number of people taking paracetamol overdoses had not declined, says the Oxford University study published in the BMJ.

They found there were 765 fewer deaths after the legislation was introduced in 1998 than would have been predicted based on trends dating back to 1993.

This equated to an average of 17 fewer deaths every three months after 1998."

Appears to have been pretty effective looking at that. I guess people suicidal and willing to go in a very painful and protracted manner, aren't with it enough to go through Tesco's self service tills 3 or 4 times in a row.

Edited by Cyclone

Look at the contents of those, not paracetamol and not aspirin, they are not restricted. They're also not Beechams Max Strength which is what you specifically mentioned. I responded regarding the product you mentioned, not every product that Beechams make.

What do you mean they "state lozenges"? There is no paracetamol or aspirin in those lozenges, or any lozenges.

Well, obviously, but the point I've made, and am correct in making, is that the till is wrong, there is no legal reason to restrict the sale of lozenges in combination with 1 pack of aspirin and 1 pack of paracetamol.

"Deaths from paracetamol overdoses fell by 43% in England and Wales in the 11 years after the law on pack sizes was changed, according to a study.

But the number of people taking paracetamol overdoses had not declined, says the Oxford University study published in the BMJ.

They found there were 765 fewer deaths after the legislation was introduced in 1998 than would have been predicted based on trends dating back to 1993.

Appears to have been pretty effective looking at that. I guess people suicidal and willing to go in a very painful and protracted manner, aren't with it enough to go through Tesco's self service tills 3 or 4 times in a row.

You're arguing with yourself - i never said one word about its contents. nor claimed they were restricted.

Specifically because i know the contents of them already and i stated quite clearly lozenges in my post.

I therefore said ask the op what lozenges he was on about. Beechams Max strength lozenges are available - you assumed i meant the powder.

You also stated "these aren't lozenges" when Tyrozets are exactly that - throat lozenges, so again you're arguing with yourself.

The point you were trying to make is that no law prevents the sale of lozenges with paracetemol HOWEVER the rule of the co-op is that they won't sell them combined, so you're wrong. Probably because serious lozenges recommend seeking professional help which they obviously use as justification for doing so.

Forgive me but did the op mention RULE/LAW.

The entire thread is about the sale being refused because they were restricted.

You then gave an example of multiple items which aren't restricted.

There ARE NO lozenges that contain restricted ingredients. The OP should not have been refused the sale on legal grounds.

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 14:34 ----------

Tyrozets is a typical throat lozenger with no aspirin or paracetamol in it.

Was this me saying that Tyrozets wasn't a lozenge?

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 14:36 ----------

Perhaps the person to ask is a pharmacist. They'll know better than anyone on here googling all day.

What is it you're recommending be asked?

Because I've answered the question of what supermarkets are legally restricted from selling, and lozenges are not. A pharmacist can only tell you the same thing.

There is no good reason for the OP to have been refused the sale of lozenges along with paracetamol and aspirin. In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest that for someone with a cold, including a sore throat, purchasing such items together would be perfectly normal and very common.

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 14:38 ----------

Forgive me but did the op mention RULE/LAW.

Yes, it's specifically in the thread title

"Rule/ law regarding over the counter medication ‎"

The entire thread is about the sale being refused because they were restricted.

You then gave an example of multiple items which aren't restricted.

There ARE NO lozenges that contain restricted ingredients. The OP should not have been refused the sale on legal grounds.

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 14:34 ----------

Was this me saying that Tyrozets wasn't a lozenge?

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 14:36 ----------

What is it you're recommending be asked?

Because I've answered the question of what supermarkets are legally restricted from selling, and lozenges are not. A pharmacist can only tell you the same thing.

There is no good reason for the OP to have been refused the sale of lozenges along with paracetamol and aspirin. In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest that for someone with a cold, including a sore throat, purchasing such items together would be perfectly normal and very common.

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 14:38 ----------

Yes, it's specifically in the thread title

"Rule/ law regarding over the counter medication ‎"

Wrong - the op made no reference to any restrictions - neither did the co-op, neither did I.

They refused to serve him due to two packets of tablets - hence their rules not yours and not the law. I gave a list of lozenges which specify in their guidelines to seek a GP or pharmacists help.

You specifically said that "non of these things are lozenges - after copying and quoting my thread which included Tyrozets.

So the law is two packets of tablets nobody disagreed -but as shown the rule is whatever the co-op choose, to cover themselves when selling products that probably recommend seeking professional advice.

How am I wrong, can you see the title of the entire thread?

I also specifically said in the same paragraph that Tyrozets were lozenges.

Yes, of course they can make up any old rule they like. But if you ask them they will claim it is the law, and it isn't. And the OP, in the title, specifically mentions the law.

Despite all the tedious nit-picking on this thread, an important point is being missed. The retailer can decide who he sells what to, and in what quantity.

If you don’t like it go elsewhere.

If you like arguing about the exact definition of what constitutes a throat lozenge, stay right here, you are in the right place.

How am I wrong, can you see the title of the entire thread?

I also specifically said in the same paragraph that Tyrozets were lozenges.

Yes, of course they can make up any old rule they like. But if you ask them they will claim it is the law, and it isn't. And the OP, in the title, specifically mentions the law.

The OP specifically mentions RULES as well - i wonder why that is. Just as he never clarifies what the lozenges were when he came back on.

As Naive has stated, as did i earlier ,the shop makes the rules. Regardless of endless googling for the law and restrictions.

SF don't allow the sale of knives - it isn't the law,but it is SF's rule.

Edited by willman

Or to go to a Pharmacy where you can buy as much as you like.

Could you get me some ? i’ll pm my address so that you can deliver them.

Oooooo, I don't know . Last time I checked, I didn't provide a delivery service for medication. They also have Halls Soothers in Jack Fultons too!

---------- Post added 01-01-2018 at 14:08 ----------

Yes but they stopped me buying throat lozenges, not co codomol, or codeine etc

---------- Post added 30-12-2017 at 21:57 ----------

Why didn’t I think of that ?

---------- Post added 30-12-2017 at 21:58 ----------

Is that what you do ?

No!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 01-01-2018 at 14:10 ----------

Despite all the tedious nit-picking on this thread, an important point is being missed. The retailer can decide who he sells what to, and in what quantity.

If you don’t like it go elsewhere.

If you like arguing about the exact definition of what constitutes a throat lozenge, stay right here, you are in the right place.

Something to suck on to relive a dry itchy sore throat ?