Violence: what can we do about it?

Do you have to follow a religion to be able to understand its primary message?

I'm not Buddhist, but I think the Dalai Lama speaks a lot of sense.

Why reference one specific myth if you didn't think it was particularly relevant somehow? As far as I can see basic morality is not limited to religion (and historically speaking is not particularly well exemplified by most religions).

If everyone tried to just do one thing, not be a male appendage, then the world would be a much nicer place.

---------- Post added 02-01-2018 at 15:32 ----------

a good birching, Birching is a corporal punishment with a birch rod, typically applied to the recipient's bare buttocks, although occasionally to the back and/or shoulders

You think violence is an answer to solve violence? :suspect:

---------- Post added 02-01-2018 at 15:34 ----------

I doubt it. Violence over religion just breaks down to an us and them mentality. If it wasn't religion it would be something else. I blame evolution.

We're naturally tribal aren't we, and tribes compete for resources.

There's an optimum size for a human 'tribe' beyond which the brain doesn't treat members in the same way.

http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2004/03/the_dunbar_numb.html

Approx 150 is the optimum size for human communities.

Why reference one specific myth if you didn't think it was particularly relevant somehow? As far as I can see basic morality is not limited to religion (and historically speaking is not particularly well exemplified by most religions).

If everyone tried to just do one thing, not be a male appendage, then the world would be a much nicer place.

---------- Post added 02-01-2018 at 15:32 ----------

You think violence is an answer to solve violence? :suspect:

---------- Post added 02-01-2018 at 15:34 ----------

We're naturally tribal aren't we, and tribes compete for resources.

There's an optimum size for a human 'tribe' beyond which the brain doesn't treat members in the same way.

http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2004/03/the_dunbar_numb.html

Approx 150 is the optimum size for human communities.

I agree with almost all of this, but we live in a world with enough for all, (it's the distribution that needs work) so fighting for resources shouldn't be an issue in a modern connected world.

I particularly agree with the bit in bold. That's what I'm asking. What would you do?

I try personally not to behave like a tool, seems to work most of the time.

I disagree that equal resource distribution would solve the problem, enough has never been enough, that goes to basic animal behaviour, deep down people will want more.

I try personally not to behave like a tool, seems to work most of the time.

I disagree that equal resource distribution would solve the problem, enough has never been enough, that goes to basic animal behaviour, deep down people will want more.

I appreciate your answer, re; personal behaviour. Something we should all perhaps give more thought to.

Shouldn't we be able to overcome basic animal behaviour? Isn't that what civilisation is supposed to do?

I particularly agree with the bit in bold. That's what I'm asking. What would you do?
As a lambda individual, that's the best, and the most, which you can do.

The earlier aside on religions is part-interesting, part-moot in that context: the behavioural fundamentals of most religions are formalised in their individual ways of course, but all follow essentially the same 'general' moral code: 'don't be a tool' is to be found in most scriptures (e.g "do unto others as would be done unto you"), likewise 'do not murder', 'do not steal' <etc.> and likewise with the (moralising) tales and parables.

You don't need religion to inculcate those values in normal people in this day and age of free education for all outside of religious orders and interference (free education for all is still is a fairly recent development, on an evolutionary scale: it was the monopoly of religious orders for centuries prior to that).

But I think the answer lies in more education (good education, and more of it, for all), EDIT: and some muting of the more divisive types (religious and political nut-jobs: freedom of speech should always be desirable, but should not be sacrosanct, particularly when it descends into senseless rabble-rousing and inevitably results in violence).

Stopping the mass adoption and use of social networks would be a good start. There's little better than FB, Twitter <etc.> to gradually foment, and then stoke, extreme views, outrage, and their logical consequences when feelings eventually boil over. They don't promote or provide education/information to inform opinions: they just shape them.

Edited by L00b

As a lambda individual, that's the best, and the most, which you can do.

The earlier aside on religions is part-interesting, part-moot in that context: the behavioural fundamentals of most religions are formalised in their individual ways of course, but all follow essentially the same 'general' moral code: 'don't be a tool' is to be found in most scriptures (e.g "do unto others as would be done unto you"), likewise 'do not murder', 'do not steal' <etc.> and likewise with the (moralising) tales and parables.

You don't need religion to inculcate those values in normal people. Though religion has probably helped in times less civilised. I think the answer lies in education (good education, and more of it, for all). Which, when you think about it, used to be the preserve of the religious orders.

...'do not beat your slave so hard that they die within 2 days..'

So, what can we, as individuals, do about it? Especially at an international level?

The left and right are battling it out in the media, its the rich against the poor; if you take either side you are prolonging the battle.