Another Billion Pound London Station

Guest makapaka
Yet another billion quid spent on a London Train Station, - seems to be the going rate for London Stations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42540990

I think when they did Sheffield they scraped together a whopping £30millionish.

I'm just astounded that this kind of money is still 'found' for anything as long as it is in London. I know I shouldn't be but the two finger slaute this sends to the rest of the country is unreal!

Whilst we dawdle between northern cities on 40 year old rolling stock. Disgrace.

Not really. For starters, where the hell are you going to find 96 mil people who want to visit Sheffield. If South Yorkshire generated as much money for the UK economy as London, I am sure Sheffield station will get an upgrade.

Chicken and egg situation. When infrastructure is poor, people will neither visit nor invest in the area. Good communications / travel are the first essential for businesses to want to come to the area.

London is bursting at the seams, while Northern cities are crying out for jobs and investment. The imbalance is ridiculous and relatively easily solved with investment in the right place.

"An initial aim for 24 trains an hour to run through the station by the end of 2018 was recently pushed back to December 2019."

Surely you dont need as many as 15 platforms to achieve this? How many are bay platforms?

Yes they do need this capacity as London Bridge has three functions:

it is a terminating station for the City and the expanding Southwark business area(6 terminating platforms)

it is on the through routes to Cannon Street (3 through platforms) and Charing Cross (4 through platforms).

it is part of the new Thameslink restructuring to St Pancras and Bedford from the south (2 through platforms).

A significant portion of the cost was the need to have much longer platforms.

In Sheffield we will soon see a reduction in the number of train services, a increase in journey times and an increase in the number of forty year old trains on the Midland mainline route to London. This will benefit commuters in North London and help pay for a new route for Chis Grayling and his fellow Surrey commuters.

Yet another billion quid spent on a London Train Station, - seems to be the going rate for London Stations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42540990

I think when they did Sheffield they scraped together a whopping £30millionish.

I'm just astounded that this kind of money is still 'found' for anything as long as it is in London. I know I shouldn't be but the two finger slaute this sends to the rest of the country is unreal!

Looking at the picture, and reading what was done, it probably sounds about right.

As for Sheffield, even if they did this to it, it would probably be half that. (I am assuming the place stayed [partially or mainly] open during the works, btw).

Yes they do need this capacity as London Bridge has three functions:

it is a terminating station for the City and the expanding Southwark business area(6 terminating platforms)

it is on the through routes to Cannon Street (3 through platforms) and Charing Cross (4 through platforms).

it is part of the new Thameslink restructuring to St Pancras and Bedford from the south (2 through platforms).

A significant portion of the cost was the need to have much longer platforms.

In Sheffield we will soon see a reduction in the number of train services, a increase in journey times and an increase in the number of forty year old trains on the Midland mainline route to London. This will benefit commuters in North London and help pay for a new route for Chis Grayling and his fellow Surrey commuters.

Still it all contributes to the future success of a massive private development - the shard.

This country is so corrupt it stinks to high heaven

Still it all contributes to the future success of a massive private development - the shard.

This country is so corrupt it stinks to high heaven

I think the whole world is corrupt to be honest.

I think that's what's causing so much unrest in the general populations.