Why no receipts?

Same with Argos.

Bought something online, paid with card, picked up at their outlet in Dronfield.

Was advised that my 'receipt' was my earlier email order confirmation and my text message giving an order reference number.

This is fair enough,you have the equivalent of a receipt.The phone company I am referring to offered absolutely nothing only their word that everything was on their system.

We accept card payment in my chippy. The new terminal we were sent does not issue receipts for contactless transactions. I queried it with out card supplier and the machines are going to be standard no receipt issued. For Chip and pin payments the machine asks the customer if they want one and they have to click yes and one is issued. To be fair we have saved so much paper rolls!

I suppose that's up to you.

I'd be unlikely to save a paper receipt for 1 month, much more likely to still have the email.

I have created a folder marked receipt lol. Just dragged them in to there. My phone receipt I forwarded a copy straight to the insurance company as it’s easier for them to have a record before you need to claim.

It's not all cut and dried even with a receipt though. I have had problems for a few years with some receipts where the print fades well before the gaurentee expires. I rather think it's deliberate. I photocopy receipts now and I can print them if needed.

My concern is having proof of purchase in case of an insurance claim.

I have a folder for receipts and, when necessary, I just print off a hard copy of the online transaction to put in that folder.

I also scan/copy shop receipts that have the potential to fade.

Is it though? It's proof of spending money in the store, but they could dispute the specific item, say it cost £19.99 and is a branded item that can be bought in many places... They conveniently can't find it on their records, and they say that you spending £19.99 with them isn't proof that you bought that item.

What now?

Then you take them to court. If they refuse to tally up your bank statement record with their sales records then a judge is likely, on the balance of probabilities, to side you.

---------- Post added 03-01-2018 at 11:22 ----------

Granted, but I doubt if I'll save the email and text for 12 months!

Why not? I've got emails going back to the last millennium.

Taking them to court for a £19.99 item is more trouble than it's worth, which I'm sure they'd know.

It might be worth it for a £499.99 phone of course. But the proof of purchase is much simpler if you have a receipt listing the sale and the specific item. So perhaps that's why they're less keen to give out such a receipt.

Taking them to court for a £19.99 item is more trouble than it's worth, which I'm sure they'd know.

It might be worth it for a £499.99 phone of course. But the proof of purchase is much simpler if you have a receipt listing the sale and the specific item. So perhaps that's why they're less keen to give out such a receipt.

Obviously. You can of course, as I think someone has already mentioned, refuse to purchase if no receipt is given.