122 Dobbin Hill Road

Thanks Hillsboro and Lobster. It is entirely possible my memory is wrong and Annie and Harold were living at 9 Dalmore Rd when I visited in1959 because the Arthur Trott listed at 122 Dobbin Hill definitely has no connection with the family. I need to look at Dalmore Rd on Google Street view to see if it is on a hill as I do recall this

Hi Bryan Ward,

Dalmore Road is on a hill but you mentioned catching the tram on Ecclesall Road into the city. I just remembered that the Ecclesall trams were replaced by buses in 1954 - see here - but trams continued to run to Millhouses until 1960. So from Dalmore Road you could perhaps have gone downhill to Abbeydale Road to catch a Millhouses tram into the city.

Edited by hillsbro

You might well have reset my memory banks correctly!

Now I need to try and pin down if poss her parents' details and to understand how long she might have resided at 122 Dobbin Hill and with whom prior to her marriage. ( the marriage cert says residence there but was that just very temporary?) If we hit a brick wall then I'll switch to Harold's side of the family!

Annie may of course have only lived temporarily at 122 Dobbin Hill as you suggest, perhaps lodging with Mrs Taylor. The Sheffield Central Library (Surrey Street) have electoral registers - see here - on which Annie would feature if she were there at the time of voter registration. Annie's death certificate may give her address at the time of death, which might have been 9 Dalmore Road!

I think I'll get a copy of her death cert from the GRO. I'll let you in due course if the address is resolved!

Cheers

---------- Post added 21-01-2018 at 15:24 ----------

Hi Hillsbro,

ok I have now received Annie's death cert and yes it was 9 Dalmore Road listed as the place of death and Harold was present then. So you are correct and it was Dalmore Road which I recall visiting in 1959 and NOT Dobbin Hill! The death cert gives her age as of October 1962 as 77. Her birth and family details though remain a mystery