The Marbles Gang.

Just making an enquiry for a friend, who was recollecting vague stories from her childhood about a relative who had been a member of The Marbles Gang during the 1920s.

As I said her recollection was vague, but apparently, the gang operated around The Moor area of Sheffield and ran a betting ring based around marbles games. So it could have a marbles gang rather than The Marbles gang, or The Marples Gang.

So has anybody heard of The Marbles Gang or even a marbles betting ring?

I always thaught it was marples gang in relation to marples pub but may be wrong

That's what I would have thought too. So maybe she misheard Marples for Marbles and in a childlike way came up with a gang that bet on the outcome of marbles games.

---------- Post added 04-01-2018 at 13:02 ----------

Also just spotted an article gambling .com about betting on marbles. Not as I thought the games we played as kids, but betting on the number of black or white marbles pulled from a container. That sounds more akin to the tossing rings run by gangs at the time.

That's what I would have thought too. So maybe she misheard Marples for Marbles and in a childlike way came up with a gang that bet on the outcome of marbles games.

---------- Post added 04-01-2018 at 13:02 ----------

Also just spotted an article gambling .com about betting on marbles. Not as I thought the games we played as kids, but betting on the number of black or white marbles pulled from a container. That sounds more akin to the tossing rings run by gangs at the time.

Yes i used to go in marples pup in the 1960s and it was a very busy pub with

turns on easy reach of hyde park flats etc