Mobile phones at work

I am sure they are banned at work, but my employer does make allowances for fanily reasons.

Could a mother/father be un-contactable for 40 hours per week? So we might get told to put our mobiles away occasionally, but if you are bored just waiting, they turn a blind eye.

I don't know about today as I had to take early retirement about 10 years back, but many people at my employers had company-provided mobiles, and others used their own - on a site the size I worked on they were a boon.

Mind you, they were mobile phones, not smartphones and taking pictures in the plant was strictly prohibited - but for security reasons.

Well, having private mobile phone to be able to answer the emergency call from familiy/partner is one thing, staring at Facebook, chatting, taking pictures and playing games during work hours is another.

I am sure they are banned at work, but my employer does make allowances for fanily reasons.

Could a mother/father be un-contactable for 40 hours per week? So we might get told to put our mobiles away occasionally, but if you are bored just waiting, they turn a blind eye.

What is wrong with family calling the work landline in an emergency? How do you think people managed twenty years ago?

A lot of jobs I've worked in its not safe to have any electrical gadgets or car keys unless particular spark safe type. Security is also an issue on a lot of sites.

has anyone ever took a picture and posted it on facebook etc then been told off by their employer because said picture showed a breach of health and safety?

It isn't a breach of health and safety, it's a breach of either security protocol or, and at the very least, data protection. You can't just take pictures of people and share them publicly - only when they are in a situation where taking pictures is expected (celebration of sorts for example).