Why do Cd's jump?

I remember tomorrows world showcasing CD's, they put butter, and JAM and gravy and allsorts on the CD, and it still played..

When it came to the public, you get a finger smudge on it and it makes it jump..

the difference being, pre-public release, the Lasers were much higher power, but they couldn't get away with it for public release, so they had to reduce the power on the lasers, and as a result they were not as good at reading through dirt etc...

but clean CD's jumping could be a number of things, dirty laser, failing laser, bad tracking, bad spindal motor (can't keep constant speed) etc... there's any number of reasons..

try them in multiple players to eliminate it being the disk it's self...

I gave up trying to play cd's in my car stereo back in early 2000's as it was virtually impossible; any slight bump in the road would caused it to jump.

Do you remember when cd's first came out and we were told you could stamp on them, or do virtually anything to them, and they would still play.

Well I look after and clean all my cd's, so why are they jumping when I play them?

When the jive is jumping...

Try playing vinyl records in a room with loose floorboards.

Because they arent as indestuctible as they made out at the time ;)

Yes, this.

When the jive is jumping...

Try playing vinyl records in a room with loose floorboards.

Yes, this.

That's down to the quality of the cd player. My car has a really good one. No matter the road, no matter the conditions it never skips or misses a beat.

I had a Philips cd104 bought seconhand in the late eighties it had a very good 14bit playback system, that model is still sought after today, but good ones are getting rare.

---------- Post added 08-01-2018 at 20:52 ----------

I remember tomorrows world showcasing CD's, they put butter, and JAM and gravy and allsorts on the CD, and it still played..

When it came to the public, you get a finger smudge on it and it makes it jump..

the difference being, pre-public release, the Lasers were much higher power, but they couldn't get away with it for public release, so they had to reduce the power on the lasers, and as a result they were not as good at reading through dirt etc...

but clean CD's jumping could be a number of things, dirty laser, failing laser, bad tracking, bad spindal motor (can't keep constant speed) etc... there's any number of reasons..

try them in multiple players to eliminate it being the disk it's self...

I read that the producers faked the cd test.

It does depend a lot on the CD player. I had a really good one that would play anything until the transport mechanism broke; the one I've got now isn't quite so keen on scratched ones, but those that don't play in the CD player will often play OK in my Mac.

---------- Post added 08-01-2018 at 20:52 ----------

I read that the producers faked the cd test.

Its not so much as they faked it but more that they mislead the public.

The jam stuff is a bit of a myth. A few demonstrators put stuff on the disks and also scratched them near the outside edge not realising that the disks played from the inside out. What they didn't do was to touch the CD where the recorded track was.

Jumping on a CD can also depend on how many times oversampling the player has, its used as a form of bit error correction just in case a mark is on its surface. More expensive players have greater oversampling which cuts down on errors. Take off oversampling completely and the CD will sound like scratched vinyl and will be jumping all over the place.

EDIT:

Just found this..

http://orchardoo.com/TWCompactDisc.htm

Edited by apelike