What is equality to you?

Message added by Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Has anyone seen Serena Williams interview on equality after the us open final.

She believes the umpire was being sexist and she was being treated unequally when he docked her a game for calling him a “thief” and a “liar”.

Ridiculous.

Maybe when she abused the umpire and threw a tantrum she was trying to make a point. "If men can get away with it why can't I".

Maybe when she abused the umpire and threw a tantrum she was trying to make a point. "If men can get away with it why can't I".

Has any man got away with being coached during a match?

Especially when her team admit they coached her.

If the rules say "No Coaching" and she was being coached then what's questionable?

The issue isn't "did she break the rules", it's "did she get treated the same way as men do when they break the rules".

There are plenty of other examples of women players not being treated as leniently as men when they do break the rules, Alizé Cornet penalised for briefly removing shirt is one recent example. That's why the Women's Tennis Association and many individuals are supporting Williams.

The issue isn't "did she break the rules", it's "did she get treated the same way as men do when they break the rules".

There are plenty of other examples of women players not being treated as leniently as men when they do break the rules, Alizé Cornet penalised for briefly removing shirt is one recent example. That's why the Women's Tennis Association and many individuals are supporting Williams.

Outside of other issues like the shirt (in which i support the ladies) has any man been let off whilst being coached,by that umpire. Then they have a point.

Thats the point of HER penalty, nothing else.

Patrick Mouratoglou, Williams’ coach, admitted in a post-match interview that he had indeed been trying to coach her from the sidelines, which is not allowed.

Edited by willman

It's a referee decision; people are human and are inconsistent.

I wonder how many decisions she has got away with over the years because she is good for business and misdemeanours are overlooked purposefully? This controversy reminds me of the sort of thing that happens when the top three Premiership football teams used to get away with all sorts then cried a storm when they were actually penalised for something.

Her 'I'll make sure you will never referee again' comment speaks volumes.

Outside of other issues like the shirt (in which i support the ladies) has any man been let off whilst being coached,by that umpire. Then they have a point.

Thats the point of HER penalty, nothing else.

Actually she was also penalised for smashing a racket and umpire abuse - something which male players frequently get away with. I don't know specifically about that umpire. The fact that the WTA is supporting Williams implies that people who know more about tennis than us think there's an issue.

Her 'I'll make sure you will never referee again' comment speaks volumes.

Other players have said far worse. But this thread isn't about whether Williams has behaved badly (which everyone agrees she has), it's about if she's been treated fairly.

If the rules say "No Coaching" and she was being coached then what's questionable?

Questionable with regard to whether she was aware she was being coached.

In the link I posted it stated that although the TV cameras caught the coach appearing to signal that she play further up the court "there was no suggestion whatsoever that she had seen what he was doing".

Questionable with regard to whether she was aware she was being coached.

In the link I posted it stated that although the TV cameras caught the coach appearing to signal that she play further up the court "there was no suggestion whatsoever that she had seen what he was doing".

The intents was there..her coach admitted it afterwards..referee's decision is final... the outburst afterwards was in spoilt brat territory..she should know better really,,