What is equality to you?

Message added by Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

I think we discussed in this thread unconscious bias and why positive action is sometimes necessary.

Some people disputed the idea, disputed that privilege existed for simply being white or male.

Have a look at this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46143909

The new chairwoman of the Parole Board has said it is a "significant concern" that none of its 240 members is black.

Caroline Corby said just 13 members of the board, which decides the release of the most serious offenders in England and Wales, were from an ethnic minority.

She said "unconscious bias" had affected recruitment for the board.

A campaign to recruit 100 Parole Board members in 2016 and 2017 tried to address the shortfall, she said, but it had not attracted enough ethnic minority candidates and a disproportionate number of those who did apply failed to get through the selection procedures. A new recruitment drive is being launched next year.

It doesn't say, but I wonder how many of that board are female, I'd be surprised if it's a 50/50 male/female split.

Edited by Cyclone

Guest makapaka
Well, that's an interesting justification.

It's borne out of some truth though isn't it.

Men and women don't always want to do the same jobs do they?

It's borne out of some truth though isn't it.

Men and women don't always want to do the same jobs do they?

Quite right - the department my wife works in has 1 male member of staff amongst 13 women.He was new 2 years ago.

Some of the women in the office have been in the role for 25 years+ and this guy is the first to even apply let alone pass the tests for touch typing and audio typing.

Not all explained away but there are some jobs that some people wouldn't have done previously but these days with the positive momentum it won't be because of sex or colour but because of choice.

If people don't apply for jobs how can anyone claim inequality all the time.

In the grand scheme of things it is far better to have a wide and varied mix within organisations with different views and opinions it just can't be manufactured to be like that.

Edited by willman

I think we discussed in this thread unconscious bias and why positive action is sometimes necessary.

Some people disputed the idea, disputed that privilege existed for simply being white or male.

Have a look at this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46143909

It doesn't say, but I wonder how many of that board are female, I'd be surprised if it's a 50/50 male/female split.

Female prisoners only represent 5% of the prison population though.