What is equality to you?

Message added by Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

9 minutes ago, woodview said:

Equality is about equality of opportunity, and equal treatment regardless of circumstance.

Examples at the BBC are meaningless in lots of cases, unless it's a job that can be objectively shown as equal. So does the camera operator get the same if they are a man or woman, does the cleaner get the same man or woman? I'd bet my mortgage at the BBC they do. And in most workplaces they do too.

Does Linekar get more than Clare Balding? Probably. Do I care either way? No.

Does Joe Bloggs and Joanne Bloggs get the same for doing the same job in an office, if they have the same experience and skill, then 100% they should and most likely do. If not the employer needs backside kicking.

And yet different jobs that can objectively be measured as being of similar difficulty and skill are rewarded differently.  And if you look at whether those jobs are typically performed by more men or more women, well, the jobs that are traditionally "male" are paid more, for no good reason.

Quite a few councils have fallen foul of this recently and made it into the news.

In built bias in selecting interview candidates has been demonstrated in various places by simply sending in 2 functionally identical CVs, one with a "white" sounding name, one with a "black" sounding name.  Or a male name versus female name.  The white and/or male candidates have an advantage, not through conscious racism, it appears to be a deep seated social thing.

And yet here we are, with a bunch of white men arguing that they don't have any advantages and that it's unfair to try to address equality because they might personally be disadvantaged...

12 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

And yet here we are, with a bunch of white men arguing that they don't have any advantages and that it's unfair to try to address equality because they might personally be disadvantaged...

That's it in a nutshell. 

13 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

And yet different jobs that can objectively be measured as being of similar difficulty and skill are rewarded differently.  And if you look at whether those jobs are typically performed by more men or more women, well, the jobs that are traditionally "male" are paid more, for no good reason.

Quite a few councils have fallen foul of this recently and made it into the news.

In built bias in selecting interview candidates has been demonstrated in various places by simply sending in 2 functionally identical CVs, one with a "white" sounding name, one with a "black" sounding name.  Or a male name versus female name.  The white and/or male candidates have an advantage, not through conscious racism, it appears to be a deep seated social thing.

I've not done that though have I? But that doesn't suit your prejudices.

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

That's it in a nutshell. 

Ahh bless. Make sure you agree with the usual ones and just disagree with people who you assume you should disagree with.

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You might not have (I can't be bothered to read back and check), but quite clearly some posters have.

But you stick to 'here's Woodview, I dont like his brexit view so I'll just lump him with the other posters on a completely unrelated subject'

How you can post on a thread about prejudice is beyond me.

Ps do you avoid using 'reply and quote' on purpose for some reason???

I specifically replied to your post that I quoted.

Then I left a paragraph break and wrote something general about the topic.  And I quite clearly use the quote function, extensively, but not if I'm replying to the previous poster as it's not necessary.

10 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I specifically replied to your post that I quoted.

Then I left a paragraph break and wrote something general about the topic.  And I quite clearly use the quote function, extensively, but not if I'm replying to the previous poster as it's not necessary.

#304 , #306 . looks like trying to get the last word to me.

31 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You complained about a comment I'd made thinking it was aimed at you, I said it wasn't.  I can't help it if you feel like that's trying to get the last word.

I 'thought' it was aimed at me because you'd replied and quoted me. That function is to comment on someones point specifically isn't it.

And you didn't say it wasn't aimed at me, you said "You might not have (I can't be bothered to read back and check) " . Prejudice runs deep in some.

6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's not hypocrisy and it's entirely reasonable to make some assumptions in the UK about people based on the few factors you know about them.

Your assertion that it isn't possible is disingenuous and in support of the ridiculous "me too" nonsense that people throw up when you point out how ethnic minorities are systemically disadvantaged in the UK.

The typical answer of someone who wishes to support the status quo of themselves gaining advantage over others.

Firstly they "misunderstand" what equality is about to then proclaim (as if it's news) that people are all different.

They then make up hypothetical edge cases that somehow show a person from a minority gaining an advantage over a white person, this they shout loudly, is unfair.  Ignoring the ongoing systematic advantages that white people get through in built bias from people and systems.

Finally, despite positive action having been explained to you, you proceed to pretend to misunderstand it and suggest that a person less suited for the job might be given it.

Explain to me who i have personally gained privilege over, despite you knowing nothing of my background, who my family are, what i do for a job and my financial stability... you don't know my age, even! So all you know is my sex/gender and my colour.

And that's all you have to make an asdumption about me.