What is equality to you?

Message added by Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

28 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Explain to me who i have personally gained privilege over, despite you knowing nothing of my background, who my family are, what i do for a job and my financial stability... you don't know my age, even! So all you know is my sex/gender and my colour.

And that's all you have to make an asdumption about me.

Imagine someone from the same background, education and class as you, who isn't white and male. Someone like that.

15 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Imagine someone from the same background, education and class as you, who isn't white and male. Someone like that.

and your point is?? we all make our own way in life it just depends if we sit back and wait or we go out and get it? just saying?

1 minute ago, neworderishere said:

and your point is?? we all make our own way in life it just depends if we sit back and wait or we go out and get it? just saying?

My point is that being white and a man gives a person certain advantages in life.

4 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Sometimes we need to give others a bit of a leg up.

"We"? Would that be white males? And, "others"?  I take it you mean none white women?

WOW. Could you be any more patronising? Maybe I got off lightly being a mixed race none white male. I don't think I could cope with the responsibility. 

1 hour ago, neworderishere said:

only if you let it! sitting about whining about equality wont change anything.

But neither will sticking your head in the sand and pretending everyone has the same chances and that everyone gets their just deserts.

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

But neither will sticking your head in the sand and pretending everyone has the same chances and that everyone gets their just deserts.

well unfortunately life is a little bit <removed> not very nice, thats how humankind works there will always be haves and have nots,  i would love the latest Aston martin etc etc but i just havent been given the chance??

as for sticking my head in the sand! everyone does have the same chance they just have to optimise those chances differently. 

Edited by nikki-red

19 minutes ago, danot said:

"We"? Would that be white males? And, "others"?  I take it you mean none white women?

WOW. Could you be any more patronising? Maybe I got off lightly being a mixed race none white male. I don't think I could cope with the responsibility. 

I mean anybody that needs a bit of help. I don't think it's patronising, it's just recognising that some people need a bit of help getting their voices heard and their needs addressed.

What mystifies me though is why some people hear ''let's give (insert minority group here) a leg up'' and take it to mean that society is falling apart, or that the world has suddenly become a hostile place to white heterosexual men. My best guess is that they're insecure and poorly parented individuals who weren't loved enough as kids.