H&M racist advert

Can you explain why exactly?

---------- Post added 15-01-2018 at 07:37 ----------

Well, no, because I think it would be discriminatory to take the colour of the model into question at all, but I don't think they did. I don't think they "selected a black kid", I think they had a model who was modelling lots of clothes, including that item, and the colour of the model was irrelevant to them all, as it should be.

That generally is my point with regards to those making the claims of the ad being racist, and of course different people have different opinions, as seen on here.

There you go getting all sensitive now about a 'wink' emoticon, that's the trouble, you are way too touchy, you look for something you will find it.

I know I'm repeating myself, but the kids mother said she was not offended. A scenario of not being able to consider a black boy for the photoshoot could have been classed as discriminatory, there are different aspects to this but hey concentrate on the simple one .... the faux outrage :roll:

I am not getting sensitive at all, i pointed out the wink to highlight my point about you making light of the situation, when you said...."I'm white, I don't use the term whitey, I'm not offended by the term, but if we can persuade the masses to see it as an offensive term then you become a racist for using it"

I'm way too Touchy? Faux outrage?...thats never a good sign when people start taking it to a personnel level..but hey, if you think it helps your argument...

---------- Post added 15-01-2018 at 10:26 ----------

Can you explain why exactly?

---------- Post added 15-01-2018 at 07:37 ----------

Well, no, because I think it would be discriminatory to take the colour of the model into question at all, but I don't think they did. I don't think they "selected a black kid", I think they had a model who was modelling lots of clothes, including that item, and the colour of the model was irrelevant to them all, as it should be.

I just find it offensive, even though i am not black i find it offensive, there has been a long history of black people being refereed to as a monkey, so to have a young black boy modeling that hoodie was not a very smart idea

The kid in the ad may not care or know better, his mother apparently was not offended, of course if such a thing is virtue signalled enough then the sheeple will take offence to it.

I'm white, I don't use the term whitey, I'm not offended by the term, but if we can persuade the masses to see it as an offensive term then you become a racist for using it ;)

How can you tell if the masses have:

A) Been convinced to regard something as offensive, that they wouldn't otherwise consider as such.

or

B) Are genuinely actually offended and feel marginalised and / or belittled.

I am not getting sensitive at all, i pointed out the wink to highlight my point about you making light of the situation, when you said...."I'm white, I don't use the term whitey, I'm not offended by the term, but if we can persuade the masses to see it as an offensive term then you become a racist for using it"

I'm way too Touchy? Faux outrage?...thats never a good sign when people start taking it to a personnel level..but hey, if you think it helps your argument...

I just find it offensive, even though i am not black i find it offensive, there has been a long history of black people being refereed to as a monkey, so to have a young black boy modeling that hoodie was not a very smart idea

You are touchy, your offended on behalf of others, of course the problem is you see the ad and look for offence, whereas I see a young boy in a hoody. Your narrow mindedness associates the boy with an animal based on the very prejudice your arguing against ... so who has the problem :huh:

There is no argument you have not put one forward really, it's just opinion and ours differ, get a grip.

If someone verbally associates a black person with a monkey they are being racist, you and those taking offence are actually perpetuating that very same reasoning by your thoughts in my opinion, drop the narrow minded thoughts and there is no problem with the ad as far as I can see.

We had the 'N' word...

Then, people like my granddad would use the term 'coloured'. This was deemed racist and offensive.

So, we used the term 'black'. Is this still an acceptable description?

Now, we're using 'POC' - People Of Colour, which is essentially the same as 'coloured'.

What is offensive? What should we be using now?

You are touchy, your offended on behalf of others, of course the problem is you see the ad and look for offence, whereas I see a young boy in a hoody. Your narrow mindedness associates the boy with an animal based on the very prejudice your arguing against ... so who has the problem :huh:

There is no argument you have not put one forward really, it's just opinion and ours differ, get a grip.

If someone verbally associates a black person with a monkey they are being racist, you and those taking offence are actually perpetuating that very same reasoning by your thoughts in my opinion, drop the narrow minded thoughts and there is no problem with the ad as far as I can see.

Are you for real? You call me narrow minded, but you are the one that made light of the situation, I put to you that you are in fact the narrow minded one, if you cannot see how people can be offended by casual racism is beyond me, and to say that I associate the black boy with an animal when I am in fact in a relationship with a black person is a disgusting slur, go crawl back under your stone, your either a troll or a nasty piece of work

So, basically, if you're black you can't wear any clothes with monkey written on them? Is that right?

Exactly which associations with the word monkey would not be considered offensive?

Are you for real? You call me narrow minded, but you are the one that made light of the situation, I put to you that you are in fact the narrow minded one, if you cannot see how people can be offended by casual racism is beyond me, and to say that I associate the black boy with an animal when I am in fact in a relationship with a black person is a disgusting slur, go crawl back under your stone, your either a troll or a nasty piece of work

Great overreaction there, of course your opinion is more valid because your partner is black and your stood on the soap box of trendy self righteousness, you can jump up and down and be outraged.

What about the following points though:

H&M apologised .... is that good enough for you ?

Protesters ransacked some stores in SA .... is that a reasonable response ?

Should the slogan on the hoody be banned or just advertised by and sold to white people ?

Oh and if your just going to throw a strop don't bother answering ;)

So, basically, if you're black you can't wear any clothes with monkey written on them? Is that right?

Exactly which associations with the word monkey would not be considered offensive?

If thats the case then this must be racist too

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/77/98/f67798efaa32fdd3ca3192c2693497c6.jpg

Where is the outcry?

Also,

What about a black person advertising clothes made by a company called Noose and Monkey

https://www.nooseandmonkey.com/casual-wear.html

I wonder if that will be called racist next.

its a personal choice, it depends on each person, but if a black person chooses to wear a shirt with a monkey on the front, then that is up to him, but i very much doubt there would be many black people who choose to do this, most black people i know wouldnt choose to wear one,