One cup kettle?

Don't bother with the Sainsbury's ones as they are made from paper only.

Posted by a Sainsbury's Red Label Fairtrade tea lover... :hihi:

Twinings said their pyramid bags were free from plastic.

The Co-op is to make its own-brand Fairtrade 99 teabags free of polypropylene, a sealant used industry wide to enable teabags to hold their shape, and the guilt-free brew is due to go on sale by the end 2018.

I googled to see what brands had plastic free tea bags, and it was very few, I may try Sainsburys. I dont like pyramid tea bags, I will have to get to like them.

Aren't they very expensive?

Unless they've come down in price, they're horribly expensive. I looked at the cost purely out of interest when I first spotted them, and even for the least expensive models you're looking at over £1000. Very smart, very convenient and all of that, yes.

Worth a grand to avoid boiling a £20 kettle, don't think so.

I googled to see what brands had plastic free tea bags, and it was very few, I may try Sainsburys.

Do try them as the quality and taste of their Red Label is the best. Other supermarkets do Red Label but Sainsbury's cant be beaten. If you like lose tea then try their Kenyan and Celon mixed, 1tsp Kenyan and 2tsp Celon for a tasty brew.

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 22:37 ----------

Worth a grand to avoid boiling a £20 kettle, don't think so.

Better to get an Argos universal travel kettle that only boils 0.4 litre max, costs only £12!

Re: wasting power by boiling excess hot water.

The heat dissipates into your kitchen, you use fractionally less gas to keep the house warm.

Admittedly gas is considerably cheaper than electricity, but it's not like the 'wasted' heat from boiling excess just disappears.

Bit of a waste in summer...I don't usually use my heating then :)

Used to have a girlfriend who's dad, who was minted, used to measure cups into the kettle depending how many he was making. Hated boiling a bit too much, it cost money for nowt... No wonder he was minted...

It may be a case of old habits die hard. I remember in the good old days of the Wilson government when around half of people's wages went in stoppages you couldn't afford to waste money. It got to the point with me that I was working full time in a skilled job and I couldn't afford tools one week.

We were not running a car and just used to have one night out a week. It's just the way it was, many people in the same boat, and as people have mentioned we used to reuse the teabags. Two per cup, and some people including me used to dry them out on the clothes line and smoke them in pipes in place of tobacco, and I don't want to get into politics but I so resented a labor government doing that to working people that I have never voted for them since.

Edited by spilldig