The way things used to be .

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I'm thinking of " From little acorns, mighty oaks grow"

I can't tell you how pleased I am to be invited to join your new organization "Just stop trolls"

Of course, as you know, I've already pledged my allegiance to a certain perpetrator.

But the prospect of tickets to all major sporting events is rather tempting.

At the moment all I've got is a skanky old T-Shirt which I may pop into a large envelope with the words "Return to Sender"

The problem is, I don't want to vent his fury, and become a victim of his wrath.

I shall certainly reconsider all options in this matter.

Is there any possibility that you can get the "Baubles" on board, this would spread the message World wide and make any final decision on my part much easier...

In the meantime, I wish you luck in your mission.

Hmmm... :huh:

Good idea, Mr Padders!

I'll see what I can do... :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Donside 6 said:

Four Black Jacks or Fruit Salad for 1 old penny. Or for 4d more 5 Park Drive

Domino cigarettes were even cheaper I think.

You could cut out the back of the packet, stick it on cardboard and eventually have a set of dominos !

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 16:19, Alextopman said:

8 Black Jacks or Fruit Salads for one old penny.

Which would be SIXTEEN for one 'new penny'!! The biggest swizz I remember involving decimalisation as a kid, was that overnight instead of twelve goes on a one armed bandit for a shilling, we only got FIVE. Gutted!

• Like 1

Corporation paraffin road lamps with red/orange lenses I think, they were a precursor to the battery-powered flashing orange cones.

The little chrome parking lamp that showed red light to the rear and white to the front. The window would be wound up trapping it in place at the top.

On 21/01/2018 at 19:57, Basalt said:

Seem to remember my mum having days for tasks. Something like

Monday - washday

Tuesday - ironing

Wednesday - shopping and remember it's early closing

Thursday - cleaning

Friday - baking

Saturday was bath night

Sunday - rest

I'm sure others will fill in the gaps with their schedule

Yes, we had a variation on that. Point is that everybody seemingly everywhere did similar and watched the same tv programmes on one of a very small number of tv channels , eg Morecambe and Wise, Parkinson, MOTD. 

I still think of those days in a sort of black and white.

Such is life. That said, I don’t hold any rose tinted sucrose nostalgia for those days

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2023 at 17:20, Dreb48 said:

Im  sure it all changed with the introduction of First and Second Class Post .

When I was a SubPostmaster it was always cheaper to send a greetings card abroad if it was unsealed 

Ah, the strategic art of mailing greetings cards abroad. Unsealed for savings, huh? It's like playing a clever game of postal chess, outsmarting the system to save a few pennies. Who would have thought that leaving a card unsealed could be the secret to international mailing economy? It's all about finding those creative loopholes in the postage world. Keep on mastering the art of cost-effective greetings!

• Like 1

My best memory is playning with my friends in the cornfield when I lived on Deerlands Ave we lived opposite the now park entrance.. Before they turned it into a park. Used to have some great fun. Especially when the corn had cut.  We pile all the cut corn into massive piles and dive into it. Them were the days.