Jogging in the road

MyGirl

You run with traffic coming towards you so you can spot any pillocks heading straight for you rather than waiting for them to break you elbow with their wing mirror (or worse).

Anyone who runs on the road in such an irresponsible manner as those described in the op only have themselves to blame if they are hurt or worse.

I have no sympathy for such selfish people. My only sympathy would be for the poor driver who may inadvertently run into one of these Darwin awards contenders.

That's not entirely true is it. As the OP says, the road is well lit, it's pretty straight, and it's a 30 zone.

So anyone who drives into a pedestrian in the road is probably equally to blame.

If you "inadvertently" run into two grown men in the road in a streetlit area in a 30 mph zone, then you really shouldn't be allowed to drive should you.

If you "inadvertently" run into two grown men in the road in a streetlit area in a 30 mph zone, then you really shouldn't be allowed to drive should you.

And if you run two abreast with your back towards the traffic you shouldn't really be allowed to run on the road then should you.

Works both ways fella.

It's not illegal to run in the road with your back to the traffic, but it is stupid and contrary to the advice in the Highway Code. Were there to be an accident, failure to follow the Highway Code would no doubt be taken into account. But of course cars should take care in any case.

Everyone who has pointed out that the zone marked out along Rivelin Valley Road is not in fact a cycle lane is correct. It's not. Not just for the practical reason that it's full of debris, but because it's not actually a cycle lane.

I have occasion run on the "not cycle-lane" on Rivelin Valley Road, usually when the verges are so deep in mud that it's impossible to run without sliding, or when there is deep leaf cover.

I am aware of traffic coming from behind me when I do this, and given that it's usually pretty sparse I usually hop on to the verge until the vehicles have passed. I wouldn't feel safe doing this if I couldn't listen for cars so I don't wear headphones when I run.

Pavements in and around Sheffield can be pretty treacherous for runners, with the new smooth tarmac ones being particular bad even when it's bordering on freezing. I can see how some people prefer to run on the road!

And if you run two abreast with your back towards the traffic you shouldn't really be allowed to run on the road then should you.

Works both ways fella.

Not really, the highway code clearly states that vehicles should give way to pedestrians at all times. There are no exceptions for stupid ones.

The two men running 2 abreast were probably cyclists:hihi:::hihi:

how can you cycle when you are running? No one is a cyclist until they are on a bike.

There have been several times recently when the pavements have been so treacherously icy that running on the road is the only option.