Sickness benefits

Is he fit for work? If not you get another fit note stating that he's not fit for work etc as normal. With something like terminal cancer I imagine that the GP is keeping a fairly good eye on things and I doubt that he is fit for work so it should just be a case of calling the practice and asking for another note - friend of mine has terminal breast cancer and thats all she does.

Hope you get it all sorted and best wishes - never a nice situation to be in :(

This is sad news. I hope that he receives all the help that he and his family needs. Contact the McMillan nurses for advice. He should be able to claim benefits under special rules and they will be able to help regarding symptom control, emotional support etc.

What is meant by terminally ill?

The definition used by the Department for Work and Pensions, when they assess a claim under the special rules, is that a person is suffering from a progressive disease, and their death can be reasonably expected within six months. ( If your death could reasonably be expected at any time in the next five to ten months, you may still qualify.)

What are the special rules for the terminally ill?

Under normal rules for Attendance Allowance and Personal Independence Payment a person has to have needed care for a certain length of time before they can get these benefits. Under the special rules there is no such qualifying period, neither does the person have to prove what care they need.

People who are terminally ill do not need to have a medical examination if they are claiming Employment and Support Allowance and they do not need to wait 13 weeks before getting a component.

This means there is much less information that the person has to enter on the claim form. Claims made under the special rules are given priority treatment.

Who can make the claim under the special rules?

The claim can be made either by the person who is terminally ill or by someone acting on their behalf. If the claim is made on behalf of the terminally ill person, it is not necessary for them to sign the form. This may be appropriate where a person has not been told the full nature of their condition. If the claim has been made by another person, the terminally ill person will be notified that a claim has been made for Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. However, they will not be told that the claim has been made under the special rules.

https://patient.info/health/benefits-for-the-terminally-ill

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 18:14 ----------

What if I live longer than six months?

If you live longer than six months following the claim, you can carry on claiming under the special rules. Awards are normally made for three years and will be looked at again after this time if you live longer than originally expected.

https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/special-rules

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 18:20 ----------

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Attendance Allowance

If you’re successful, the new top rate of benefit can be backdated to the date you became terminally ill. You’ll need to tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), or Disability and Carer’s Service (DCS) in Northern Ireland, within one month to have your claim fully backdated. If it has been longer than one month, the top rate can still be fully backdated if you had good reason for the delay (eg you were too ill to contact the DWP or DCS any earlier than you did).

https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/special-rules

Edited by Itrytoplease

Hi

My son is terminally with cancer his gp gave him a note for 6 months which runs out soon what do we need to do next.do we see his gp? do we need to fill in all those forms again? never done this stuff before and we need some advice.

thanks

I thought anyone with a chronic illness was now exempt from having further medicals...

Medical tests for chronically ill benefits claimants to be scrapped

'Pointless' to continuously test those whose conditions can only get worse, says Work and Pensions Secretary Those suffering from chronic illnesses will no longer have to undergo repeated “fitness for work” tests to prove they are eligible for sickness benefits, the Department for Work and Pensions has said.The change means that Employment Support Allowance claimants with conditions that can “only get worse” will no longer have to be assessed repeatedly – although there will usually still be an initial eligibility test.(Saturday 1 October 2016)

No one seems to have told the DWP.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tests-chronically-ill-benefits-claimants-scrapped-dwp-autism-ms-huntingtons-a7340436.html

Edited by Itrytoplease

Hi

My son is terminally with cancer his gp gave him a note for 6 months which runs out soon what do we need to do next.do we see his gp? do we need to fill in all those forms again? never done this stuff before and we need some advice.

thanks

So sorry to hear it. I do hope everything runs smoothly for you all so you can enjoy your time together free from unecessary worry.

Hi

thanks

I am sorry to hear this news, but what I would suggest is you call the Macmillan helpline on 0808 8080000 - they are open from 9-8 Monday to Friday and will be able to give you very good advice on what to do. There is also the following webpage https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/special-rules which is from the Marie Curie website and details benefits that your son should be entitled to.

Hope this helps,

Jo