Savings on utility bills ..

I've just had a couple of guys to quote for a new boiler.

Both offered A rated quality boilers against my E rated boiler.

However one guy quoted a saving of £340 a year on my gas bill so that would mean i'd only be paying about £80 a year in gas.(if i used the boiler in the same way)

Is it likely to be correct?

However one guy quoted a saving of £340 a year on my gas bill so that would mean i'd only be paying about £80 a year in gas.(if i used the boiler in the same way)

That means you are only paying £420 a year for your gas bill now, which is about half the average gas bill.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Angel1.

That means you are only paying £420 a year for your gas bill now, which is about half the average gas bill.

Which is almost bang on my annual bill.

I literally heat my home with gas and use it for nothing else.

My electric I bet is more than the average bill.

tbf the same number £340 is even mentioned on a boiler manufacturers site.

You're not using enough gas to save that amount.

This article mentions £340 a year saving. Hope it is helpful.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-3315655/Will-really-save-money-gas-bills-replacing-old-boiler-new-condensing-one.html

I remember the cost saving to be substantial when replacing, even about 10 years ago.

I upgraded from a non-condensing boiler which was really inefficient, to a Worcester Bosch Greenstar which is over 90% efficient. You can check the efficiency on your own boiler on this website:

https://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/efficiency-tables

If it helps, water and gas heating in a reasonably well insulated terrace now uses about 600 kwh / month.

If you look at your current boiler's efficiency and how much volume or kwh of gas you use, you can calculate roughly how much you will save for the same energy (heating) output. Eg if I use 600 kwh at 90% efficiency for the same heat output at 75% efficiency (roughly cat E boiler) I would need ~720 kwh. 120 kwh at 3p/kwh is £3.60 / month = £43.20/yr. Equally if you use 900 kwh you could save £64.80/yr

Edited by biotechpete

If youve got a smart meter you could tell fairly easily once installed Id guess but then youre stuck with it anyway. Without - I suspect it would be a bit of pain given the change in gas prices, how cold/hot the previous year was. Youre at teh mercy of the manufacterers.

You're not just looking at the efficiency ratings and potential savings of a boiler are you??

You're making sure the priority is that you actually get a decent boiler.

The savings were irrelevant tbh.

It was just one of those after thoughts when they keep bandying figures around at you to try and persuade you to buy their boiler - the one making the claims was a Vaillant installer.

I'm sure there are efficiency savings to be made but just throwing around numbers like £340 without assessing it is silly.

I'd be amazed if i saved £50 a year but i'd be happy to get rid of the banging and clattering i've got and pay an extra £50 a year.