Savings on utility bills ..

I agree totally.

The biggest saving comes when jumping from non-condensing to a condensing boiler.

but going from an older condensing to a new condensing boiler it's really only 10% or so better.

Effective control units can help save money as well - so long as they're used properly!

I'm moving from a non condensing to a combi , so should be some benefits.

Apart from the additional cost of making the airing cupboard into a walk in shoe cupboard of course.

Ah, but you get the joy of unlimited hot water. That’s worth a few quid a year on its own.

I've never been keen on combi boilers. I suppose they may be okay if your mains water pressure doesn't change. Ours is awful, too low when peak demand in a morning then other times it sky high!. Its so bad we have considered fitting a pressure device on our incoming supply.

We did consider the combi issue ourselves and really should have changed this boiler a couple of years back tbh.

One of the good things is that our water flow is high, the stop **** is only open a quarter turn and it was faster than needed for this combi (14l ?).

We have an electric shower as well so no real demand on the boiler for that.

Who would have thought there would be so many considerations.

One thing they don't do when talking about how much you are saving is factoring in how much the boiler and installation costs to start off with. Take that into consideration then it may take a good many years before you start to recoup any money spent. Must admit I like the convenience of a combi though.