'Smart' M1 speed cameras on Sheffield stretch on 24-hours-a-day

Yet mile for mile the motorways are the safest roads...

Motorway accidents are the most lethal though... it's the fact the traffic is grade seperated and well streamed taht keeps the accident rate down and as you say makes them so safe. It used to be that the UK motorway was the safest roads in the world - not sure if thats still the case though

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 17:38 ----------

Everyone is in such a rush to get to the next traffic jam

if they wanted to travel quicker they would cycle

Thats not really going to cut it though if you need to move anything about over more than about ten miles is it...

Because there is good evidence that it does reduce delays by stopping the traffic bunching up and causing stop start flow which actually increases overall travel time.

It doesnt make much intunitve sense but the paper I read about it was quite convincing.

Seemed to be the case on the M1 90 mins ago. 50mph on the gantry due to congestion. The only cars braking where the ones in the outside lane ignoring the limit.

All the other lanes were flowing nicely.

that's probably because there are no junctions, traffic lights or pedestrians.

Most drivers are unable to deal with those.

I was replying too Pressleys assertion that more speed equals more accidents....not necessarily true.. the " slower " roads in this country are more dangerous than the fast motorways..

I was replying too Pressleys assertion that more speed equals more accidents....not necessarily true.. the " slower " roads in this country are more dangerous than the fast motorways..

I think he was right - if you drive on a motorway at a faster general speed you will have more accidents on that motorway than at the slower speed.

Compared across road classes though as you say it's a different story.

Why not? ten miles on a bike is around 45 minutes.

it takes me longer to drive across the city than ride

I dont think cycling a couple of hundred miles to lodgings Monday and back again friday is feasible for me. Nor would I like to move the necessary computer kit about that I frequently use by cycle.

Why not? ten miles on a bike is around 45 minutes.

it takes me longer to drive across the city than ride

As the thread was originally about motorways how does your theory work when travelling to Nottingham.derby and Leicester in the same day and do a job in each of those places..? This is a usual day for me although sometimes it's Newcastle or Lincoln or Boston carrying tools and parts as well.. what would be the best pushbike for that?

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 17:51 ----------

I think he was right - if you drive on a motorway at a faster general speed you will have more accidents on that motorway than at the slower speed.

Compared across road classes though as you say it's a different story.

Interesting....how many accidents involve HGV's at 56mph on the motorway? Genuine question...

Looks like the Government are going to increase their revenue from motorists on the M1. I know drivers shouldn't speed before people star saying you won't get fined if you stick to the speed limits. The article I read yesterday said that if you were driving at 71mph you would be fined although it doesn't actually say that in the Star, just that over 70mph you will be fined. There is no mention of the discretionary amount people have assumed they were allowed over the limit before being fined.(10%+2mph) How accurate are the cameras, are the Government going to make drivers have their car speedometers calibrated yearly? I know not a speed camera but the warning sign in Mosborough said I was doing 32 mph even though my speedo was showing just under 30.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/motorists-will-be-fined-for-driving-above-70mph-on-smart-m1-in-sheffield-24-hours-a-day-1-8979947

I saw that article and remembered it as I got down to about j27, doing probably 85 for a fair bit of the journey along with all the other traffic! I didn't see any cameras flash and they do flash in the day as well as at night.

I saw that article and remembered it as I got down to about j27, doing probably 85 for a fair bit of the journey along with all the other traffic! I didn't see any cameras flash and they do flash in the day as well as at night.

All the other traffic was doing 85?