'Smart' M1 speed cameras on Sheffield stretch on 24-hours-a-day

I also see the odd speeding car that is driving way too fast for the conditions but that's a lot rarer than the other idiocy I see.

Absolutely this, it's quite rare now to see someone absolutely pelting it along, but five minutes on any motorway and you'll see scores of people sat hogging lanes and/or driving along without paying attention.

as it happens. i dont need to watch the pennies (as shown by the 5 months a yr i spend in the alp snowboarding)

it i also know that sitting in lane 1, cruising at the same speed as the hgv's is by far the safest place to be.

i am not getting in the way of them.

i am protected by them

i will leave all the hot heads and tailgaters in lane 3 to be nose to tail. burning fuel like there is no tomorrow. and constantly jabbing at the brakes.

That's exactly what I have done for years. It.s never caused a problem to myself or anyone else as far as I'm aware, i'e no two fingered salutes or horn blowing and hardly any time lost at the end of the journey.

---------- Post added 30-01-2018 at 13:55 ----------

Another point though is , what speed are the cameras set too ?

Many sections of motorway now are down to 60 or 50 mph, so do the cameras alter, and if they do, what happens if you are driving along and the bit you are on is suddenly set to say 50 mph, bit you don,t know because you had just passed underneath the information board as it was altered ?

Another point though is , what speed are the cameras set too ?

The police will never give a absolute figure as to what the camera's are set to, there is almost always some leeway with the displayed number and the activation speed though.

what happens if you are driving along and the bit you are on is suddenly set to say 50 mph, bit you don,t know because you had just passed underneath the information board as it was altered ?

There's a couple of minutes grace between the sign being set and the camera being activated to prevent such incidents.

From the department of the obvious:

Driver behaviour 'transformed' by A90 average speed cameras

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-42774902

Turn them off for a month, notify the drivers that the cameras are out of use and lets see if the behaviour is still the same.

People don't have the guts (or the argument) to speed when cameras are active to prove their point in court if speed limits are so wrong and need changing.

From the department of the obvious:

Driver behaviour 'transformed' by A90 average speed cameras

Sort of a state the blindly obvious report though isn't it??

"We installed average speed cameras and now everyone drives at whatever speed we tell them to"

Well obviously, because no-one actually wants a speeding fine :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

The police will never give a absolute figure as to what the camera's are set to, there is almost always some leeway with the displayed number and the activation speed though.

There's a couple of minutes grace between the sign being set and the camera being activated to prevent such incidents.

Thank's geared, that's cleared that one up.

I asked highways about cameras becoming armed when signs light up and it is one minute from signs coming on to being armed

I asked highways about cameras becoming armed when signs light up and it is one minute from signs coming on to being armed

Is it one?

I'll remember that, I knew it wasn't immediately but thought it was abit longer.

60 seconds is fair enough at motorway(ish) speeds I guess.