'Smart' M1 speed cameras on Sheffield stretch on 24-hours-a-day

are the cameras average speed cameras there is not any signs saying that there is average speed cameras? ive seen the camera's if there is not any markings on the motorway surface how do they know how fast your going?

---------- Post added 05-02-2018 at 13:05 ----------

i drive on m1 every week and if it really is the case that anyone driving over 70mph will be fined then they will be dishing out hundreds of fines a week just from stretch running from junction 32 upto getting onto m18

I was advised by a member of the constabulary that they had been advised from the powers that be that 70 was the limit - now was this when the 60 matrix shows or when the matrices aren't active?

I've just visited Ripley Police HQ driving in excess of the 70 mph limit and had no cameras flash me.

So are they turned on all the time ?

The officer who made the original statement about fines for being 1mph over the speed limit says it was a misunderstanding.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/police-chief-makes-u-turn-speeding-fines-motorists-drive-1mph-limit-084131459.html

I'm still not sure what he means...

What he means is he's sorry for opening his mouth because he's received quite alot of backlash and is worried it's now hurt future promotion plans.

What he means is he's sorry for opening his mouth because he's received quite alot of backlash and is worried it's now hurt future promotion plans.

No it means newspapers are lying scum who twist people's words to sell more papers.

He had a gripe against the 10% margin - mainly towards the higher end where its no longer accidentally going at 31mph, but deliberately speeding.

To be fair he did say:

If booked at 35 or 34 or 33 that cannot be unfair because they are breaking the law.

So while he didn't mention one mile over being fair, he did say 3 mile over was.

So it's either 1 or 2 mph if you take him literally (and on that one quote).