Sheffield General Cemetery

Blazie

Died on 1 Jan 1864

buried in section SS grave 90

sect SS is to the left going in entrance at Cemetery Ave (Ecclesall Rd side)

a lot of the grave markers have been removed from the cemetery

Also in same grave is a Emily Bagshaw so poss no marker

Thank you but that's not the one I am looking for Henry Willis born 1818 died 1863 his wife Anne Willis born 1821 died 1854 possibly buried in St George's church cemetary and their daughter Mary Ann born 1844/5 any help would be much appreciated

The only Ann WILLIS who died in Sheffield in 1854 was 55 and a widow

The only Henry WILLIS who died in Sheffield in 1863 was an infant.

I can't find these people in the 1851 census or Henry in 1861, and I can't see a birth for Mary Ann, assuming she was born in Sheffield.

There are only 2 people called WILLIS buried at St George's. One was an infant called Henry who died in 1837, the other was a Susanna who died in 1835.

Things are not adding up at the moment. Do you have more information? Have you found this family in a census?

Hugh

Hi Hugh

we have found Ann Willis aged 30 in the 1851 census she is living at Bailey Lane Smiths Square with her husband Henry Willis 33 George Willis (son) aged 30 (think that must be a mistake) Mary Ann Willis daughter aged 6 and Joseph Percival (Ann's brother) aged 22. Ann was born in Lincolnshire.

We are just trying to fill in the rest of the information for they family tree.

Looking at the 1851 census, George Willis aged 30yrs...on the original it looks more

like 'Bro'. I think Mary Ann aged 6yrs might be George's daughter.

I could be off the mark here, but, there is a birth registration for a Mary Ann Willey,

Sep Q 1845, Sheffield 22 575.

On the 1861 census at court 5, 5 Westbank Lane, Sheffield are the following family.

George Willey, head, mar, 41yrs, razor grinder.

Catherine Willey, wife, 26yrs.

Mary Ann Willey, dau, 16yrs.

William Willey, son, 3yrs.

Ann Willey, dau, 8mo. All born Sheffield.

Blazie.....do you have the marriage for Henry and Ann?

Moira.

When Joseph Percival married shortly after the 1851 census, Henry and Ann were witnesses. They both signed with a mark, but their names were listed by the clerk as Henry and Ann WILLEY.

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 14:14 ----------

Speculation:

A Henry WILLEY married an Ann JOHNSON on 3 Feb 1840 at Sheffield Parish Church (now the Cathedral).

Henry was 21 and Ann 19

I am wondering if there is some subterfuge going on due to Ann being a minor.

Henry is listed as a tanner, which doesn't fit but his father is a razorsmith named George (your Henry had a brother called George who was a razor grinder).

Ann's father is listed as Joseph JOHNSON, brickmaker. Your Ann's father was a maltster, but at least two of her brothers were brickmakers.

Are they re-arranging some facts to fool the church?

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 14:36 ----------

I think George WILLEY the brother married Ann CLARKE in 1838. In the 1841 census they have a son George aged 1.

The birth of Mary Ann WILLEY, mother's maiden name CLARKE, was registered in Sheffield in SEP Quarter 1845.

Mary Ann WILLEY appears to have married in December 1861 Jonathan NICHOLSON. She said she was 18 but she must have been younger.

This could be the burial of her mother at St George's:

WILLEY Anne 27 Apr 1848 Hammond St 26 wi George