Contactless payment for child fair on buses.

Myself and my two children (7 and 10) hopped on the 81 bus in Hillsborough the other day. I noticed there was a contactless payment thing so I went to pay that way... however it didn't work, the driver said that you can't use the contactless pay method for children's fare!! its a good job I had the cash!

What's the reason you can't pay children's fare with contactless?

To stop a kid pinching his Dad's card and travelling to some distant part of the country?

But they were with me and I was the one paying them on .

Were they child day/return tickets?

For children, only singles can be bought with contactless payment:

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire/tickets/introducing-contactless-payments

"You can use contactless to purchase single or adult day tickets, which are issued on paper, up to the value of £30. This can include more than one ticket in a single transaction, e.g. an adult day and a child single ticket. However, the total price cannot exceed £30."

Work that one out!

Were they child day/return tickets?

For children, only singles can be bought with contactless payment:

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire/tickets/introducing-contactless-payments

"You can use contactless to purchase single or adult day tickets, which are issued on paper, up to the value of £30. This can include more than one ticket in a single transaction, e.g. an adult day and a child single ticket. However, the total price cannot exceed £30."

Work that one out!

It was single tickets I was wanting. We just wanted to get home from Hillsborough. That driver probably just isn't fully up on how the system works yet.

It’s the same for adult weekly tickets. You can buy single tickets or adult day tickets via contactless, but not weekly tickets - though apparently these will be introduced later on in the year.

Not sure why it can’t be done now if they already have the facility for contactless payments.

It’s the same for adult weekly tickets. You can buy single tickets or adult day tickets via contactless, but not weekly tickets - though apparently these will be introduced later on in the year.

Not sure why it can’t be done now if they already have the facility for contactless payments.

Stagecoach accept contactless for all tickets, not sure why First is being restrictive although it looks like they are trying to encourage weekly tickets to be bought on their app rather than from the driver.