Colver Question

Hi, folks!

I recently purchased a small backsaw on eBay. Its spine was stamped 'Pilot Works' and 'C B' within a pair of crossed flags. From my research on the Web, I understand that this was the trademark of Colver Bros., Sheffield, and that they were in business from about 1880 to about 1914.

Also read about a man named Sir Robert Hadfield with some connection to the industry, who served his apprenticeship with Jonas and Colver.

Further research led me to this forum, where I read a thread from 2003-2005 about peoples' experiences working at Jonas and Colver steelworks. I'm wondering if anyone can provide further information about Colver Bros. and its relationship, if any, to Jonas and Colver. Your help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - Pretty scary reading about steelworking at Jonas and Colver. I collect tools and am interested in the history of toolmaking (including Sheffield steel, of course), but I never realized how dangerous this industry was for the men on the factory floors. Very tough people. Makes me appreciate the tools even more.

Archived