Voting at age 16

So only frontline troops can take human lives? Fatalities can’t possibly happen anywhere else right? :loopy:

How many 16/17 year olds have died, or taken lives, in the UK in the army, navy or airforce of non natural causes?

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 20:36 ----------

This discussion should never have been framed from the perspective of "well, 16 year olds can do x, y and z".

It should always have been up to the "they shouldn't have the vote" to justify it.

So go ahead. Why shouldn't they have the vote?

Robin

I meant in the formal sense. Not just in the sense of identifying nationality.

They shouldn't have the vote for the same reason they can't buy alcohol, or get a tattoo.

Edited by Robin-H

Well, if working is the definition; pensioners wont get the vote ;)

Over 80/90 year olds are very out of touch, but they get to vote.

In context to the post you quoted, that's a strawman. I think El.

But more importantly in the non bolded bit, 60 70 80 90 year olds aren't big targets for 'left or right' propaganda - they've seen it all before - and likely to just vote for who think is best at the time, OR who they have always voted for, meaning not much different to 30 40 50 or 50 year olds.

-

16-18 is a huge number of people, who are [arguably] far more likely to be susceptible to idealogical ideas, than realistic ones, since their experience of life and what happens is hugely different to someone with good mental capacity over 60 - which is most of them, btw.

If I'm wrong then next election I'll look into how many MPs are canvassing in nursing homes in comparison to how many are campaigning in schools or universities (to include this age group) and count the number of people, and compare.

Utterly and obviously opportunistic. 16 year olds are still children. Children should not be voting in elections.

The men in charge once said the lower classes should not vote,

later, the rich powerful men in charge said women should not vote because they are women.

Now we are saying 16 yo's can and can't do certain things.

Just have everything at one age deemed to be 'adult' and everyone will know where they stand in law.

It is only natural to lower the voting age to 16. The young nowadays have a lot more access to information and can therefore be better informed compared to previous generations. This is of course a double edged sword as they will need to analyse the information and decide accordingly.

..you would think so but unfortunately not. It makes more sense for people to pass a simple test on politics before being allowed to vote. You only have to look at the things some people said before and after the Brexit vote to realise that some don't find out the facts before voting.

Voting should be minimum age 18 and pass some basic competency tests to see if they are fit to vote.

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 15:56 ----------

16 year old people can start work, join the army, start a family, leave home. But some people don't think they should be able to vote.

There are a lot of restrictions under 18. You can't start all jobs at 16, some you have to wait until you are 18 due to insurance / risk on site. You can't go into active combat until you are 18. I didn't think you could get a mortgage until you were 18. No idea about rented property. .Gov website says its unlikely you will be able to sign a tenancy agreement under 18 but doesn't say its not legal under 18.

..you would think so but unfortunately not. It makes more sense for people to pass a simple test on politics before being allowed to vote. You only have to look at the things some people said before and after the Brexit vote to realise that some don't find out the facts before voting.

I could go for that so long as politicians were only allowed to tell the truth and all the known facts behind various policies etc were clearly, and unambiguously, presented to all voters. If we're going to go down that route we may as well adopt an evidence based policy approach and require all politicians/voters to pass an exam on rational thinking before being allowed in office/being able to vote.

Voting should be minimum age 18 and pass some basic competency tests to see if they are fit to vote.

If they can pass the test why impose an age limit?

I could go for that so long as politicians were only allowed to tell the truth and all the known facts behind various policies etc were clearly, and unambiguously, presented to all voters. If we're going to go down that route we may as well adopt an evidence based policy approach and require all politicians/voters to pass an exam on rational thinking before being allowed in office/being able to vote.

If they can pass the test why impose an age limit?

I can see your point to a certain extent but don't think anyone under the age of eighteen should vote. Life experience and knowledge come as you go through life, not just out of a book or a formal lesson in a class. The bigger picture has to be taken into consideration when voting, not just some manifesto written about living in utopia.

I don't think many people under eighteen would understand the world of commerce and how this affects the decisions and policies they make. Lets face it, some politicians have no idea either...the sort of people who just think we should end austerity without a clue where the money is going to come from.

At 16 children are still wet behind the ears. As for been voting savy, I think not.

If I remember correctly, at 16 my life revolved around the female of the species and Ale. Politics, whats that?.

Angel1.

You're very old; you would say that.