Voting at age 16

An excellent example of a Govenment policy influencing working conditions without representation. Policies that could change at any time.

A poor statistical analysis which does not reflect any averages or ranges.

Government legislate on minimum not maximum wage. They also legislate on a wide range of issues which directly effect them like levels of taxation, minimum wage, hours of work, government transport policy, benefit entitlement, support for appreticeships and courses. These are decided on their behalf without any representation.

Every body is liable for taxation on income from wages and other sources.

A sixteen year old is allowed to work full time and/or run their lives independent of the parents or state.

Unless they want to do things that they can't do at age 16 without parental permission..

16 year olds should be able to vote. Out of school, in the workplace- why should they not be able to offer a view.

It is not normal for 16 year olds to be in the workplace anymore.

You are legally allowed to leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays, however you must then do one of the following:

- stay in full time education (such as college)

- do an apprenticeship or traineeship

- do part time education of training whilst working or volunteering.

The Education and Skills Act made staying in education or training compulsory until the age of 18.

16 year olds should be able to vote. Out of school, in the workplace- why should they not be able to offer a view.

I agree.......,,l

---------- Post added 04-02-2018 at 00:09 ----------

You are legally allowed to leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays, however you must then do one of the following:

The Education and Skills Act made staying in education or training compulsory until the age of 18.

It was normal when I was 16 and still is.

I agree.......,,l

---------- Post added 04-02-2018 at 00:09 ----------

It was normal when I was 16 and still is.

Were you 16 before or after the Education and Skills Act of 2008?

I would suggest that if you were 16 before it became compulsory to stay in education or training until 18 then yes there would have been more 16 year olds in the workplace.

It is not normal now. About 85% of 16-18 year olds are in education or training.

Edited by Robin-H

Unless they want to do things that they can't do at age 16 without parental permission..

Parents rights, childrens rights, human rights, individual rights etc., ovelap.

Courts accept that there is an ‘age of discretion’ (around 16) and they are very unlikely to oblige/demand the sixteen or seventeen year old obey parent wishes or be denied unresonable requests.

In a breakdown in relationship or the absence of parent(s) or reasonable parents(s) the courts can appoint someone to help them with any legal issues. Social services may also be involved.

I would suggest that if you were 16 before it became compulsory to stay in education or training until 18 then yes there would have been more 16 year olds in the workplace.

It is not normal now. About 85% of 16-18 year olds are in education or training.

I was 16 in 1983.

This is an interpretation which is not accurate in this context.

Training can occur in the workplace:

Education and Skills Act 2008 Part 1, Chapter 1, Duty to participate in education or training, Section 2

here

Which school did you go to Robin? I went to Newfield, a secondary modern.

Guest makapaka

Ok - potentially working then like I said.