Voting at age 16

I meant go up town on the raz with the 18 year olds?

The current law states It is legal:

For someone under 18 to drink alcohol in licensed premises, except where the child is 16 or 17 years old and accompanied by an adult. In this case it is legal for them to drink, but not buy, beer, wine and cider with a table meal.

It is not illegal:

For someone over 18 to buy a child over 16 beer, wine or cider if they are eating a table meal together in licensed premises.

Therefore if they're with an 18 year old, (an adult) & they're having a meal, perfectly legal. Now most pubs do bar snacks, even on the 'raz' it could be done.

For someone under 18 to drink alcohol in licensed premises, except where the child is 16 or 17 years old and accompanied by an adult. In this case it is legal for them to drink, but not buy, beer, wine and cider with a table meal.

It is not illegal:

For someone over 18 to buy a child over 16 beer, wine or cider if they are eating a table meal together in licensed premises.

Therefore if they're with an 18 year old, (an adult) & they're having a meal, perfectly legal. Now most pubs do bar snacks, even on the 'raz' it could be done.

I don't think bar snacks would count as a table meal.

16 year olds can't drive a car but Labour and the SNP want them to vote.

So you would only allow people with driving licences to vote? :loopy:

---------- Post added 28-01-2018 at 22:51 ----------

A 16 year old has arguably more right to vote than a 70 year old because the consequences will affect them far more as they’ll be more likely to be alive to see it.

I think we should have max voting ages to prevent the senile populous from having a say. If you think this sounds ridiculous, then because it is as this is the equivalent to what you are saying in opposition to lowering the voting age.

I think the point being made is that we don't allow 16 year olds to drive because they are not considered mature enough and so that should follow through to voting, not that there should be a correlation between driving and voting generally....

It is not illegal:

You are a nit picker, should have been a nit nurse in one of the schools..

Sigh...

I cant think of many revellers dragging their mum to a rave, if they still rave, might be something else now..

---------- Post added 28-01-2018 at 22:56 ----------

---------- Post added 28-01-2018 at 22:51 ----------

A 16 year old has arguably more right to vote than a 70 year old because the consequences will affect them far more as they’ll be more likely to be alive to see it.

I think we should have max voting ages to prevent the senile populous from having a say. If you think this sounds ridiculous, then because it is as this is the equivalent to what you are saying in opposition to lowering the voting age.

The 70 year old will have younger relatives and will vote for the future of grand kids..

They don't all sit at a big wooden table in a castle counting their gold..

Edited by LowCostPoint

I think the point being made is that we don't allow 16 year olds to drive because they are not considered mature enough and so that should follow through to voting, not that there should be a correlation between driving and voting generally....

they can die for their country

and have sex...thus procreating

thats quite mature

You can have the not legal to drive bit but 16 year olds are legally entitled to drink alcohol under certain conditions:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/the-law-on-alcohol-and-under-18s/

You would normally need to be aged 17 to hold a licence to drive a car (Category B) but if you receive the higher rate mobility component of DLA (Disability Living Allowance) or the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP (Personal Independence Payment) you may hold a licence from age 16.