Voting at age 16

How does that sit with the age of consent then - bit odd isn't it?

Sex and sexual feelings are natural behaviour that develop at an early age (puberty or even before) and not reliant on adulthood.

I think the age of consent should be there to protect children from older adults, but that sex between consenting people under the age of 16 shouldn't be criminalised. I'm happy to be convinced why that's wrong however, I've not given it much thought.

Guest makapaka
Sex and sexual feelings are natural behaviour that develop at an early age (puberty or even before) and not reliant on adulthood.

I think the age of consent should be there to protect children from older adults, but that sex between consenting people under the age of 16 shouldn't be criminalised. I'm happy to be convinced why that's wrong however, I've not given it much thought.

I was thinking more of the definition of what is a child - wouldn’t it mean that anyone having sex with someone who is 16 is engaging in that act with a child legally???

I was thinking more of the definition of what is a child - wouldn’t it mean that anyone having sex with someone who is 16 is engaging in that act with a child legally???

Taking the UN definition of a child as somebody who is under the age of 18, and taking the UK age of consent, which is 16, then yes, somebody who has sex with a 16 year old is having sex with a child.

60 years of working?

Oh yeah I see what you mean, it should be 45 years sorry for that. ;) But there are many that still work after retirement.

---------- Post added 29-01-2018 at 14:15 ----------

Your comment "But.. just how much does a teenager of 16 years earn?" implies that there is a link between how much you earn and the right to vote.

It implied nothing as it was a question, notice the question mark.

---------- Post added 29-01-2018 at 14:22 ----------

I tried to explain in an earlier post that for a child an adult would be responsible for decisions they make, but at 16

a) you cannot demand them to follow your orders.

b) as a responsible adult you would expect them to have responsibility for their own actions.

But at 16 a child must still get its parents consent to join the forces or get married. Do you think a child of 16 would be a responsible drinker?

Edited by apelike

Guest makapaka
Taking the UN definition of a child as somebody who is under the age of 18, and taking the UK age of consent, which is 16, then yes, somebody who has sex with a 16 year old is having sex with a child.

But then surely the Uk definition differs to that of the UN - if it’s legal for someone to have sex with a sixteen year old?

But then surely the Uk definition differs to that of the UN - if it’s legal for someone to have sex with a sixteen year old?

The UK ratifies the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. Our definition is not different.

The Vatican City also ratifies the treaty, where the age of consent is 12.