Voting at age 16

Not since 2013 according to wiki...it's 18 now..

Ah yes so it is. It seems 14 is the lowest age of consent in Europe now then.

As has been pointed out however, the age of consent and the age of adulthood are two different things, so I'm not sure it's something we should get hung up on when discussion voting age.

Ah yes so it is. It seems 14 is the lowest age of consent in Europe now then.

As has been pointed out however, the age of consent and the age of adulthood are two different things, so I'm not sure it's something we should get hung up on when discussion voting age.

You're right.. I think it was something someone was using to explain why 16 yo should get the vote..

Guest makapaka
Yes, and I suppose they would be arguing that 14 year olds should have the vote in Germany..

No not really - I was just highlighting that it's odd.

16 year old people can start work, join the army, start a family, leave home. But some people don't think they should be able to vote.

All fully explained above. Children can work from ISTR age 12, need parents permission to join the military but still can't do active military service, starting a family is hardly qualified by any age, and if they leave home it is with parents permission or they go under children's social services.

Edited by ENG601PM

16 year old people can start work, join the army, start a family, leave home. But some people don't think they should be able to vote.

You can work at younger than 16. Should 13 year olds be able to vote? (they can work part time)

16 year olds can only join the army with their parents permission.

..........................deleted..my point has already been made above

Edited by truman