Why do people gossip ?

I go to the pub with real men Cyclone. You might not fit in from what I've heard.

You haven't heard anything of course, you've no idea who I am. But your predictable personal attacks aside, do you sit in silence in the pub?

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 11:27 ----------

You're looking at one sweet cheeks. :cool:

Casually misogynistic? Perhaps that's what he thinks a real man is.

No,, Gossip is when you want the nitty gritty about someone elses misfortune Cyclone..

Chin wag, chat, catch up is what you call staying in touch :)

A question of definition then?

gossip

ˈɡɒsɪp/Submit

noun

casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details which are not confirmed as true.

So, talking to friends, about other friends in an 'unconstrained' way.

The "typically not confirmed as true" bit I hadn't really considered.

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 11:31 ----------

You might call it something different, but 'gossip' is just part of staying in touch with your social circle.

To back this up a little bit

https://www.psychologies.co.uk/self/why-we-love-to-gossip.html

Gossip builds social bonds because shared dislikes create stronger bonds than shared positives. Two people who don’t know each other will feel closer if they share something mean about a third person than if they say nice things about them. It’s a way of demonstrating their shared values and sense of humour.

Men don't gossip - that's hilarious! If you think men don't gossip you're maybe just on the receiving end, sadly!

I'd imagine gossip feels good as it's a way of affirming tight social bonds within a group.

Men gossip just as much as women. Mostly in the pub, over the phone, and on coach trips to fishing matches.

I go to the pub with real men Cyclone. You might not fit in from what I've heard.

Ah yeah, "real men". I know those.

Those who sit with their pints of ale guffawing away about the pretty blonde with the big knockers behind the bar and comparing how good she is in the sheets or giving their expert wisdom on the latest x million pound striker who has just signed with City or comparing notes on why Alan's latest car is a a complete pile of tut.

Yeah, hate to break it to you Princess but that's gossip.

Just because the Millenials call it "banter" and the old duffers call it "chatting" its all the same thing

Edited by ECCOnoob

Gossip builds social bonds because shared dislikes create stronger bonds than shared positives. Two people who don’t know each other will feel closer if they share something mean about a third person than if they say nice things about them. It’s a way of demonstrating their shared values and sense of humour.

That's interesting. The last line being a critical point.

I was going to say/ or point out, there is a difference between between, 'fairly malicious gossip', and 'sharing information' gossip, where it's not insulting to the third party.

Ah yeah, "real men". I know those.

Those who sit with their pints of ale guffawing away about the pretty blonde with the big knockers behind the bar and comparing how good she is in the sheets or giving their expert wisdom on the latest x million pound striker who has just signed with City or comparing notes on why Alan's latest car is a a complete pile of tut.

Yeah, hate to break it to you Princess but that's gossip.

Just because the Millenials call it "banter" and the old duffers call it "chatting" its all the same thing

I bet that you don't have a goose.