Black Lives Matter protest Churchill theme cafe

I've had another think about the thread title and after watching the video again I'm happy that it remains as Black Lives Matter for the simple reason that they are reciting BLM mantras about being slaves in chains. I'll ignore the fact that they are middle class well educated kids from comfortable homes enjoying the freedoms that a centrist capitalist system brings, and not slaves.

But if enough posters want a compromise title of Corbyn's Labour Supporter's Black Lives Matter protest Churchill theme cafe then please say so and I will ask the moderators to change it.

That should make everyone happy.

I've had another think about the thread title and after watching the video again I'm happy that it remains as Black Lives Matter for the simple reason that they are reciting BLM mantras about being slaves in chains. I'll ignore the fact that they are middle class well educated kids from comfortable homes enjoying the freedoms that a centrist capitalist system brings, and not slaves.

But if enough posters want a compromise title of Corbyn's Labour Supporter's Black Lives Matter protest Churchill theme cafe then please say so and I will ask the moderators to change it.

That should make everyone happy.

Do you agree with the notion that Churchill said and did some very reprehensible things?

Do you agree with the notion that Churchill said and did some very reprehensible things?

Yes I do. That needs to be offset by the other things that don't even need saying.

Next. Do you agree that the Corbyn / Labour / BLM / whatever cafe protesters said and did some very reprehensible things too?

Yes I do. That needs to be offset by the other things that don't even need saying.

Next. Do you agree that the Corbyn / Labour / BLM / whatever cafe protesters said and did some very reprehensible things too?

Dunno; haven't read up about what happened.

Dunno; haven't read up about what happened.

Have a watch at the video in the first post. You'll probably raise an eyebrow, especially as it turns out that the cafe is basically a social enterprise and community hub. It's destructive identity politics again I'm afraid.

Have a watch at the video in the first post. You'll probably raise an eyebrow, especially as it turns out that the cafe is basically a social enterprise and community hub. It's destructive identity politics again I'm afraid.

It's a bit cringeworthy and ill thought out. But there was no abusive language, threats, or violence. Bit of a storm in a tea cup really.

It's a bit cringeworthy and ill thought out. But there was no abusive language, threats, or violence. Bit of a storm in a tea cup really.

I agree with you. That's the thing, it was a silly thing to do that didn't achieve anything towards their aims. What they did manage to do was create an adverse reaction that's only going to entrench the world view of people who aren't as liberally minded as you and I.

At best they are dismissed as silly kids. At worst, they cause an opposite, equal (or worse) reaction. We've seen this kind of upscaling of ridiculous political activity in the USA starting on campus (Yale / Berkeley) spreading to the streets (Charlottesville) and it's not going well. It's coming here, starting with this sort of silly student protest.