Capita profits warning

Someone once told me Capita were the company charge with sorting out council tax for Sheffield, (& a few other local authorities).

Coincidentally, there was a report on Capita's partnership with SCC in last Monday's Star:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consultants-to-help-council-save-6m-1-8987716

Apparently SCC hss spent £231 million with Capita since 2011. There's a piece missing from the link that appears in The Star newspaper. Both SCC & Capita were unwilling to divulge to the reporter, the breakdown of how the £6 million would be saved(?). Hmmm?

Someone once told me Capita were the company charge with sorting out council tax for Sheffield, (& a few other local authorities).

Coincidentally, there was a report on Capita's partnership with SCC in last Monday's Star:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consultants-to-help-council-save-6m-1-8987716

Apparently SCC hss spent £231 million with Capita since 2011. There's a piece missing from the link that appears in The Star newspaper. Both SCC & Capita were unwilling to divulge to the reporter, the breakdown of how the £6 million would be saved(?). Hmmm?

Saw that myself . Works out the council have paid them ,roughly £30 million a year over 7 years . Now the council have extended the contract and hopefully Capita can save the council £6 million :confused:

Hopefully this will hasten the demise of outsourcing.

I hope not. I spent too much time being educated in portacabins with a mobile paraffin heater and buckets under the leaks because of public sector inefficiencies back in the 70's and 80's. Kids don't deserve that.

Fair point. But so is mine when I recount my experience of outsourcing. Which is in a large public sector body. They outsourced an IT contract to the private sector. All was sweetness and light until the contract was signed.

A couple of weeks later back come the outsourcing company to speak to the in house lead.

They've looked again at the figures and there's a problem. The only way they can guarantee delivery of the application on time and to budget is if there is a 20% reduction of its functionality.

So the in house project leader now goes into a sweat. Instead of being associated with a big, successful project with a well known big company, of having a big tick on his CV, he could now be associated with a crash and burn failure. So he caves, and lets the reduction in functionality go ahead. The outsourcer doesn't suffer a reduction in the money they get, be it noted.

In my experience the private sector play these public sector managers like a violin.

The public body developed and signed the wrong contract. I have no sympathy with their ineptitude and would have zero confidence in them delivering the IT project if they can't even get the specification right for pricing.

They should have outsourced the procurement as well as the project. More outsourcing, not less!